Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 94 12v, and i want to put an allison 1000 tranny in it for sled pulling. is this going to work. if so what parts and tips do i need to know. anything would help

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
I would check out destroked.com they have the adapters for a Cummins to allison but it is not going to be cheap.....

·
Registered
963 Posts
An easy way to find out all you will need is to call your local Alison dealer and give them your CPL and they should be able to give you the complete run down on what all you need. If they are a good dealer and you leave them your "E" mail address they will give you the Part numbers, and locations you can buy used or reconditioned. If it's close buy Personal is even Better. PLAY SAFE!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i checked out destroked.com and called the owner and he gave me some prices and told me all that i needed. so thanks for the info so far. can anyone send me a wire diagram for this application

·
Registered
605 Posts
I hope you're planning on building the 1000 before wasting your time putting it in your truck because in stock trim the DMax is at or over the rated horsepower and torque limits of the Allison. Furthermore, it is a known fact that if you increase hp on the DMaxes that you can and will kill the tranny if you're not careful. IMHO, they are not the awesome tranny that everyone makes them out to be.

But to answer your question, you can get a 1000 series tranny that should bolt up to your motor with relative ease or you can get adapters for the motor to bolt it up to the bastardized version of the 1000 that is behind the DMax. I would personally be more concerned with how to properly control the tranny with it behind a 12v mechanical motor than I would be about getting it to bolt up.

Just my $0.02 :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
thats not true Allison tranny's are really awesome.......in tanks!

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
If you can find someone to program the controller it can be set to run from a TPS signal only. You still need the output shaft speed senor in the Ally. If your 94 has the VSS incorperated into the rear end housing then the swap might not be to bad.

If your 2WD you will have floor clearance problems. It will fit under a 4x4 floor line. Its tight but will fit. That is with a SAE#3 adapter setup.

I have been in a later 2nd gen 4x4 with a Ally in it.

Here is a little reading where we talked about the swap in the 1st gen forum.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/8...164-has-anyone-put-allison-trans-cummins.html

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Yes some allison's are in tanks but there is different versions.

Dmax's had 1000
F650 comes with 3 different versions. from 2500 to 3200 i think.
Allison has there website. 1000 is weak!!!! NOT WORTH THE MONEY OR HASSLE.
get at least a 2000 series, you wont need to build it up. unless you plan on pushing over 1500 tq or so. just my 2 cents

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
The 1000,2000,2400 are all basicaly the same. There is some minor gearing changes. Inside all the hard parts interchange.

The 2000 does not have a parking pawl in it.

The 1000 has the highest HP rating of the three models.

This site has the spec sheets listed for our viewing pleasure. :D

AtlanticDDA - Welcome

·
Registered
450 Posts
go buy an old bus with all the parts you need in it, I know we have a few with the 545 in them and they would take about 1000 bucks for the whole bus then you can scrap the rest, prolly make money on the deal....thats what i would do....just my .02

·
Registered
605 Posts
The 1000,2000,2400 are all basicaly the same. There is some minor gearing changes. Inside all the hard parts interchange.

The 2000 does not have a parking pawl in it.

The 1000 has the highest HP rating of the three models.

This site has the spec sheets listed for our viewing pleasure. :D

AtlanticDDA - Welcome
Yep, the hp and torque ratings only start to jump up when you get to the 3000 series trannys, and you would have to be VERY motivated to get one of those to fit in a light duty pickup. They are big, and I highly doubt you would find any adapter without doing some custom machine work to use a married transfer case if you have a 4x4. You could go with a divorced t-case if you have the wheelbase to do so...

go buy an old bus with all the parts you need in it, I know we have a few with the 545 in them and they would take about 1000 bucks for the whole bus then you can scrap the rest, prolly make money on the deal....thats what i would do....just my .02
The at545 is a 4 speed automatic, but 4th gear is 1:1. There is no overdrive in them, so it would basically be like putting an a727 3 speed in the truck. That would be taking a step backwards in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
send a PM to my buddy. His username is 1stGen545. He knows quite a bit on this and has done it himself on his 1st gen.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i already have the allison 1000 tranny. my boss has a twin turbo duramax with a built tranny in it. all it has is clutches and a tourqe converter and a few other tricks to it, and its holding solid at 700 hp. i just think the allison is stronger. i know i have to spend about as much to build a dodge tranny as i would to convert the allison to the 5.9. so is it a good idea or not for pulling and racing, or even just a daily driver with 5 gears instead of 4 gears

·
Registered
605 Posts
well i already have the allison 1000 tranny. my boss has a twin turbo duramax with a built tranny in it. all it has is clutches and a tourqe converter and a few other tricks to it, and its holding solid at 700 hp. i just think the allison is stronger. i know i have to spend about as much to build a dodge tranny as i would to convert the allison to the 5.9. so is it a good idea or not for pulling and racing, or even just a daily driver with 5 gears instead of 4 gears
Anyway you look at it you will be spending more money to put the Allison in there than you would have into a torqueflite. The cost of adapters and other parts may be the same as what you would pay to get into a rebuild torqueflite, but you're neglecting the cost of the tranny itself and what it will cost to build it (because I can't imagine someone is ever going to just give you one).

A 5 speed tranny would be cool for towing, etc. but 4th gear is direct in them so it isn't like you're getting a double overdrive or anything like that. It would be much cooler (and more worth it IMHO) if someone was doing the electronics to run a 6 speed allison (maybe someone is by now?) for the double overdrive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyway you look at it you will be spending more money to put the Allison in there than you would have into a torqueflite. The cost of adapters and other parts may be the same as what you would pay to get into a rebuild torqueflite, but you're neglecting the cost of the tranny itself and what it will cost to build it (because I can't imagine someone is ever going to just give you one).

A 5 speed tranny would be cool for towing, etc. but 4th gear is direct in them so it isn't like you're getting a double overdrive or anything like that. It would be much cooler (and more worth it IMHO) if someone was doing the electronics to run a 6 speed allison (maybe someone is by now?) for the double overdrive.
very true. i actually didnt like the low 1st gear in my 03 d-max atleast not at the strip. also only 100k miles and already limped it several times with just a simple 90hp tune and 4in exhaust. in stock trim they do not like WOT overdrive shifts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
3000 series

I convert garbage trucks for use as farm trucks i have a bunch of 3000 series trannys in various states of dis repair......we had a cab over 320 peterbilt come through a while back with an md3560 behind it the engine was mechanical... all it had was a cable actuated potentiometer to determine shift points as far as the computer was concerned...in regards to connection to the engine. the 3000's are fairly easy to come by for me... I have about 10 volvo trucks in my yard right now with running volvo ved7 engines (electronic 275 hp) with md3560's 6.83 rearends....sweet running trucks but look like @ss....did a burnout with one at a local contest last fall....
http://www.youtube.com/user/MaxvilleTruck#p/a/u/0/XyIegqIrHic
always thought about taking a nice suburban body shoving it on the volvo chassis and making a bad tow rig...:stirpot::turbo:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts