Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 12v5.9. Was stock, put 0 plate with housing slid forward. Ran great. Past 3 days or so have noticed slight roughness to the idle. Started it this morning and it started, but was black smoking and missing/running rough for about 30-45 seconds then cut out and doesnt want to start. It acts like a fuel issue? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
17,307 Posts
With a 0 plate you must have gauges. What is the fuel pressure?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No fuel pressure gauge yet but now i have a reason to buy one. I think my lift pump died finally. Its been leaking when you hand prime it and now i gas ragged it to see if it would pickup on its own but it doesn't appear to be moving any fuel. I drained the water seperator filter and its staying empty.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
If that lil,primer pump leaks , it's also letting air in the loop fuel system . Gotta fix that

Reactions: 6BTravelall

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i got one of the Amazon "Carter" pumps. Says Carter on the box but daewoo or something on the pump itself. Nevertheless changing my lift pump brought it back to life. Only problem is i went with the cheap pump and it appears to drip while hand priming 🤦

·
Registered
17,307 Posts
Cummins quit using Carter pumps (that were made in the US and had the Carter name on the pump) a couple decades ago. Genuine Cummins lift pumps are now made in China but are very dependable. If it isn't leaking while the engine is running you should be OK. If you have trouble getting it started when it has sat overnight it might be sucking air, but I doubt it. If you feel the need to replace it again I recommend this one. The studs that are included makes assembly much easier.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thankyou for the advice. I did install the Larry B's stud kit. No way i was contorting myself to hold the pump against the block and starting the bolts at the same time. As for hard starts, before i changed the lift pump, i noticed if i parkrd on an incline it would take some cranking to get it going but the new pump seems to have eliminated that issue. Thanks again fer yalls input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts