Cummins Diesel Forum banner

12v, 24v, common rail characteristics

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Drew G. 
#1 ·
Hello everyone im researching on cummins motors to buy for a swap and i wanted to know from people who have knowledge on the cummins subject. Are there things that each style motor is better for, example is a 12v best for sled pulling?, 24 valve drag racing, etc.... a 12v or 24v would be the most cost effective and simplest to work on and would tend to stay away from the common rail but would still like to her about it. the truck would be a weekend warrior, drive to the track and back, but not a daily driver. So whats everyones opinion, thanks for any and all help

#3 ·
once you get over around 600~hp they all take alot of work. but to get there the cheapest would be the 12v. personally i love to wrench so imo the 12v p-pump would be the best. but don't get me wrong it would be nice to tune up or down while driving but give me 5 mins and i can slide the plate on a 12v back or forward and that's fine with me.

#7 ·
If you want to spend the money for the engine, I would go common rail, especially with EFI Live coming out quick. A CR can be easily built to 600hp+ and tuning down is simple for a street truck. They also do not require a pump swap for the higher horsepower levels unlike the VP44 24 valve.

Dime for dime, a 12 valve would still be cheaper to build since CR parts are pretty outrageous, but either would be a very reliable and fun build for a DD or drag truck.

#8 ·
well i appreciate all the help. I think a cr would be really badass but given my current economic situation it looks like a 12v or 24v is in order. Just a side question, with a cr dont you have to add a 2nd cp3 pump and on a 24v couldnt you just do a monster pump for around the same price?

#9 ·
A monster pump will still not have all the fueling or reliability available as a p-pump will. A 2nd cp3 is only necessary for pretty high horse power numbers. A single cp3 can support up to 850hp and that is the Motorsport Diesel's Dragon Slayer pump.

If it were me, I would drop the 24 valve and go for a 12 valve or CR unless you want to swap a p-pump in place of the VP44.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.