Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I am looking at buying a towable 6k forklift and have been getting conflicting advice about whether to tow it with my pickup. It weighs about 12k, and has a spring loaded pintle lunette to tow it without a trailer. Only planning on towing it home to my shop, but it's about 150 miles.

The weakest link I see is my receiver which is 12k for a distributing hitch 10k without. Obviously there is no tongue load towing this so I am assuming 12k would be the rating (?). The next "issue" I see is pulling 12k with no brakes on the towed vehicle. My brakes are in good shape, and exhaust brake works well.

Thoughts? Is this insane to do, or realistic? Thanks!

·
Registered
17,610 Posts
I sure wouldn't tow 12k without brakes.

·
Registered
199 Posts
towing forklift

I can't imagine towing anything 12k without brakes unless it was on my property and then only if the property is level. But then there is the issue of such a short wheelbase as the fork lift would have, could start whipping if that got to pushing the tow vehicle such as down much of any hill what do you do now? It sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Rent a trailer with brakes and then think about using a bigger truck. Cutting corners and taking chances never added up to me.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About what I expected to hear. I think I'll consider another plan. Thanks for the input folks.

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,816 Posts
throw it up on a dual tandem gn and go, cuz with a trailer its not that big of a load for your truck. But as far as towing it wouldnt be wise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts