Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

12cm housings too small?

1796 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Rot Box
I'm building my 92 into a weeked warrior/camping/exploration vehicle and so far its been a ton of fun. I do however HATE the turbo lag and would like to upgrade my H1C with a smaller exhaust housing. I've always heard that 14cm is the ticket for a 5 speed truck (16 for auto's) on the street unless you tow a lot then 16 is better. I don't tow with this truck a lot and I would like the turbo to spool up a lot quicker when I'm crawling around in low range...

Are the 12cm housings too small? I've always heard they are frowned upon but I don't understand why :confused013: are they more restrictive or what? Thanks for any info!

Andrew
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
701 Posts
i had a 12 on my 92 and it actually lowered my egt's by about 100. i never towed anything bu it did spool right now!

· Registered
47 Posts
I had a 12 on mine 91.5 with an hx35 it spooled real good unless you floored it out of the hole and it would not clear out fast enough for me but I was putting alot of fuel to it and it was an auto

· Premium Member
216 Posts
The guy at Red Oak Diesel on ebay has 12cm for 239.00 dont know about 16s

· 1ST GEN
11,549 Posts
Going down from a 18.5 to a 16cm exhaust housing on an auto truck isn't worth the expense if you have to by a new housing. Your not showing any fuel mods. In your case you probably won't notice any or much difference in spoolup. I have been there and done that.

If you tow much the 12cm might cause EGT's problem if you start adding more fuel. The auto trucks load an engine differently than a stick does.

· Premium Member
2,010 Posts
I use the 12 turbine castings for door stops. Don't buy one. Stop by and you can have one.

· Premium Member
216 Posts
Greenleaf if you are giving them away i'll take one and i will pay the shipping.

· Premium Member
2,010 Posts
I don't want to be bothered with boxing/shipping. Taking it to the shipper etc. Stop in and you can have a couple.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For the record I have the 21cm housing right now :(

Thanks for the reply's :yourock:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.