Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... my dealer just told me that they had a fuel filter on the shelf for $34. I talked with service and they said that they would put it in for $120 (if I brought in the filter)

So after careful consideration and thought my response is...:umno:

The dealership on the filter is not bad (geno's + $8 and no shipping or waiting) but $120 even including the filter is :coocoo

What do they need... a tech to unplug the water sensor???:confused013:

Do you need to preload the filter or can you bump the ingition and open the drain to fill it?

Another thing on my list of "to do" for today.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The dealer removes the left front tire (per manufactures instruction). Probably put it on the lift as well. Heck just an oil filter wrench is all it takes. I don't even remove the fender well. First time I did it took me about 20 minutes. Each time after that is under 8 min to do. Dealerships are ridiculous on prices.

·
08 Cummins
2,148 Posts
I just changed mine on Tuesday. I change mine from below so I don't have to pull anything. A container with a larger opening to drain the filter into and it's a quick and simple job.

Remove the clear drain tube

Drain the filter into a large mouth container (since that stupid drain tube on these things seems to be worthless)

Unplug the Water In Fuel sensor

Unscrew the filter and screw the new filter on. (Being carefull not to cross thread it)

Plug the sensor back in

Re-install the clear drain tube

that's all it takes....

·
Registered
265 Posts
$120 to just put a fuel filter in. man i need to start working there. thats 1.3hrs labor to put one in. we only get .5hr to do any fuel filter. thats only $45 dollars plus the cost of the filter

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
If the dealers can't sell cars & trucks they sure are gonna stick it up your a$$ when it comes to service & maintenance

·
Registered
13 Posts
what filters

Is the oem filter the only one to get right now for the 6.7 or is there any other one out there thats good to use. I to just got mine replaced I believe they charged me around $50 for the filter and like $60 for labor. I just got my lift put in so I plan on doing it myself from now on and save a few bucks but the filter price was outrageous.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Is the oem filter the only one to get right now for the 6.7 or is there any other one out there thats good to use. I to just got mine replaced I believe they charged me around $50 for the filter and like $60 for labor. I just got my lift put in so I plan on doing it myself from now on and save a few bucks but the filter price was outrageous.

Only the OEM filter is out since it is a complete canister and not just a filter. Filter use to be $18 then they jacked it up to $38. Wait until the CCV filter needs to be replaced. Was $38 not it's $140. They say the supplier is increasing the price but that is BS. The dealers are jacking up the price to make up for weak auto sales.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Fleetguard has the 6.7 fuel filter also. $28.95 from Genos.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Fleetguard has the 6.7 fuel filter also. $28.95 from Genos.
It is the same filter. The part number is exactly the same, they just stick a mopar sticker on it, and jack up the price.

·
Registered
331 Posts
i bougt my filter from genoes and changed it myself took proly 15 min.i did see online that you can buy just the element for like 8.00 . i checked the oem filter housing and the element does come out fairly easy so i had the wife order me 4 of the elements.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
i bougt my filter from genoes and changed it myself took proly 15 min.i did see online that you can buy just the element for like 8.00 . i checked the oem filter housing and the element does come out fairly easy so i had the wife order me 4 of the elements.
How could you talk about this element and not give a link :buttkick::lol4:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Check on ebay. I seen where they have just the element for sale. I get my filters from the dealer 19 bucks is what mine cost me last week.

·
Registered
418 Posts
i think i payed 27 for my fuel filter from Diesel Manor
i knew they were going to be more but dam, the ones on the 5.9 were like 10 bucks!!!
they try and get you comeing and going

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Oil change + 2 pints of Lucas + fuel filter change = 127$ at speedco
Speedco will do the oil changes on our 6.7? They have the filters there? I am next to one in Houston @ the truck stop and I'm due for an oil change.

·
Registered
39 Posts
$38

I went to napa to get a filter but they don't have them yet they said there supplier was tooling up to start making them, so maby there will be some other options and maby lower prices. I then went to the dealer, they sold me one for $38 as I was going for my wallet one of the "mechanics" said it was a real pain to change one of these new filters, it took him 1 1/2 hours to get the filter gasket to slide on, there was no question after that comment who was goin to change the filter, It took me maby twenty minutes no problems.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just went to Cummins and bought the filter directly from them was $16

1 - 20 of 21 Posts