Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i was wondering what i could do to my 1994 3500 5 speed for power on a budget? i slid the stock fuel plate forward and cranked the star wheel. installed a boost gauge next is the pyro. what else can i do on a 1000$ budget? thanks

1994 cummins 3500 4x4 5 speed fuel pate slid star wheel cranked 19 sec 1/4 mile times :doh:

· Registered
52 Posts
buy a better fuel plate from ebay for around $35, block off your wastegate, upgraded clutch is a must....After that its Injectors and turbo.

· Registered
52 Posts
Also cut out your cat and muffler and replace with straight pipe

· Registered
216 Posts
dont block ur wasegate ull blow ur turbo up get a fuel plate or grind ur own do exaust an a clutch u b very happy get a stage two zoom there affordible or a south bend they both hold up very well

Reactions: jtm78ford

· Registered
2,900 Posts
pull the fuelplate out. do some 4000gsk kit some valve springs, some injectors if you want something cheap do 370's and a turbo do a hx40. but keep a eye on the pyro!!! no more then 1500* for a very short time!!!

edit the hx40 will help keep it cooler also put exhaust and a bhaf if you dont have it already, block the wast gate your not going to kill the turbo just keep boost under 35 to 40psi no more then that!

· Armchair Mechanic
1,111 Posts
4k GSK is a must
ebay fuel plate, most like a #10 or #100
BHAF to let the engine breathe better
SDX 5x0.12s. i hear that these are great injectors and they aren't expensive at all. I'm going to order my set soon.
HX40 or HX35/HX40 hybrid

you could pull this off for $1000 or a tiny bit more

edit: forgot about a clutch- go with a Southbend

· Registered
402 Posts
yeah

dont block ur wasegate ull blow ur turbo up get a fuel plate or grind ur own do exaust an a clutch u b very happy get a stage two zoom there affordible or a south bend they both hold up very well
you wont blow your turbo man i got mine clamped and it spools really fast and i got a 9cm housing and a hx35 compressor so yeah no wories there but yeah air intake, straightpiped, pump tweaks like that

· Registered
254 Posts
i did a south bend dd was 1000$ for the clutch broke my input shaft like 3rd day of just barley test driving it not even fully driving it have another truck
so now pulling trans to do input shaft all depends o what ur final plain is i was going to baby the stock clutch but wouldint even put the power thru it and it was new 20k on it with just a hx 40 and pump work and #10 plate

· Registered
715 Posts
did we read the latest issue of diesel power and their $1000 budget build:hehe::rof

if it were my truck, id grind my own fuel plate (free)
set of 3k springs ($100)
big air filter ($50)
straight pipe 63" of 3" pipe flared on each end ($25)
good clutch (got a local guy that builds bad ones for cheap $350)
mod not gut your afc housing (free)
get a 45/40 hybrid kit for your turbo ($ couple hundred)

and bammo, lots of useable power for cheap, maybe grab a set of 370's too, there pretty easy to nab for under $200.

matt

· Registered
389 Posts
4k GSK is a must
ebay fuel plate, most like a #10 or #100
BHAF to let the engine breathe better
SDX 5x0.12s. i hear that these are great injectors and they aren't expensive at all. I'm going to order my set soon.
HX40 or HX35/HX40 hybrid

you could pull this off for $1000 or a tiny bit more

edit: forgot about a clutch- go with a Southbend
cant forget them HD valve springs :thumbsup:

· Registered
3,446 Posts
cant forget them HD valve springs :thumbsup:
Not necessary.. for a $1000 budget, I would skip them.
Definitely a 4k RPM gov spring kit (Vulcan sells the 3+4K kit together for $95!!!) but keep the RPM's below 3200 and you won't need valve springs. They're another $150 or something.

· Registered
111 Posts
No FN WAY

I cant get a nv4500 to live past 300hp legit. I go through 3 or 4 trannys a year on the street. Mostly broken teeth in 3rd 4th and god forbid 5th. How in the hell do u do it?Im on my 2nd South Bend Clutch. Twisted the center out of 13" clutch.

· Registered
14,163 Posts
I cant get a nv4500 to live past 300hp legit. I go through 3 or 4 trannys a year on the street. Mostly broken teeth in 3rd 4th and god forbid 5th. How in the hell do u do it?Im on my 2nd South Bend Clutch. Twisted the center out of 13" clutch.
well, you need to find a new tranny builder! LOL I've never fragged a 4500 and my three highest powered trucks were 436, 535, and 560rwhp... I put at least 50k miles on each of them, the 560 truck, I put 70k miles on.

please don't take this the wrong way, but what kind of moron builds 3-4 trannies a year instead of just putting an automatic in it and being done with it :confused013:

· Registered
2,900 Posts
hahah forrest i take your word for all that after i talked to you on the phone and we talked about all the set up you have had. you know what your talking about!!!
i have seen guys hold 500 on a auto with just a tc and shift lit not for long but it was done!

· Registered
111 Posts
No im actually 40, and have used several different trans. shops. A while back when I spoke to Dan at Quad, he said that I had pretty much maxed the capabilities out of the NV 4500. All of the problems are at speeds above 30 mph. This last timem it twisted the drive line off at the yoke and broke the transfer housing along with bending the shaft. Last night I pulled out into traffic with a trailker in tow (7500), got on it and now I have a vibration in the shifter handle. The next thing im waiting for is the ticking and or bang! Ive broken several transmissione mounts on this too. Another thing, I have to replace the lift blocks in the back, cracked and the u bolts again. There is also 360,000 miles on this truck too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.