Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

12 valve into a 2004

6661 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  rpage
Does anyone know if you can put a 12 valve into a 2004 with a standard trans. I need a decent idea of what is involved for making it possible. I assume the bell housing and motor mounts are still the same and the issues would be exhaust and fuel lines.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
201 Posts
Unless diesels are different from gas, it's not a "legal" swap in the sense that you can't swap an engine from an older model into a newer model. The reason for the 24V ISB was because of increasing emissions requirements, and then again with the 6.7.

· Registered
498 Posts
I have been thinking about this myself. The biggest problem that I see is getting the trucks electrical, gauges ect up and running, I imagine you would have to have all of the Common Rail censors onto the 12 Valve engine and for sure have to get the timing plate off of the crank balancer. The fuel lines would be different but are on the same side of the truck so should be adaptable, fuel pump (LP) would have to be for the 12 valve

· Master of Mayhem NASFIG
12,513 Posts
did it in an 03 drivers side motor mout is different at least in a 4x4, tach runs off of crank and cam sensor, ac runs off computer along with the a/c. had to install a manual oil pressure gauge. 03 had a tthrottle cable so no problems there. few other minor issues such as power steering and radiator hoses

· Registered
498 Posts
rpage
I am guessing you did a standard trans? How come you had to run a manual Oil Gauge?

Did the computer for the truck do ok not getting info from the engine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.