Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 1977 dually first gen dodge and wanting to do a 5.9L 12 valve Cummins motor swap in it. missing alot of wires etc I’m young so I’m still learning on the way does anyone have any advice on where to begin? I Tore the motor and tranny out last night so completely stripped
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

Wood Automotive tire Tints and shades Road surface Flooring

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
17,508 Posts
I hope you have the donor truck of that 12 valve that is on the pallet. Putting all the componants you need together if you don't have the donor will be mind boggling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope you have the donor truck of that 12 valve that is on the pallet. Putting all the componants you need together if you don't have the donor will be mind boggling.
It came out of a box truck it’s my grandpas my father in law gave it to me with the truck mainly focusing on what I need because I want to convert it to a six speed Cummins I’ve always drove a manuel and I just think that the truck would look nice and sound nice with the manuel

·
Registered
215 Posts
You should upgrade your transmission too. Gasser stuff doesn't typically live well with the low grunt power of the Cummins. Hopefully you still have, or have access to, the donor truck.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sorry, we posted at the same time. You'll have a lot of parts to source.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Looking forward to watching your build. You may want to scroll down the forums menu to the conversion section. Lots of info there. Many great guys here to help you along too.

Reactions: Jamesneighbor

·
Registered
2022 3500 HO DRW Laramie. 1997, 3500 DRW Laramie.
84 Posts
You may want to make sure the frame is capable of handling that torque. Early Cummins had problems twisting frames.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
The 89-91 diesels used the 6" gas frames, you have a 7" there being an extended cab. 91.5-93 diesels had an 8" frame.

·
Registered
17,508 Posts
It came out of a box truck it’s my grandpas my father in law gave it to me with the truck mainly focusing on what I need because I want to convert it to a six speed Cummins I’ve always drove a manuel and I just think that the truck would look nice and sound nice with the manuel
Using a manual transmission would certainly simplify the swap. Lots of 6 speeds to choose from. I'm partial to the G56 because it was basically a bolt on for a 2nd gen and parts are readily available. You will be forced to do some fabriation, so you can pick your poison.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
You can plate the frame for rigidity. As long as you kept the donor truck you'll have everything you need to make this one run. As someone mentioned, a G56 would be a wise choice. Tons of parts for them and clutch choices are enough to make you dizzy.

·
Super Moderator
24,649 Posts
posting once again. Anyone know where I can get parts for a 1994-1995 5.9L 12 valve cummins motor. DO NOT HAVE THE DONOR TRUCK! Also thinking of going with the Allison 1000 transmission
What kind of parts are you looking for?

·
Super Moderator
24,649 Posts
A 12v only needs a starter wire and battery cable, use a 1 wire alternator makes it simple. Parts stores have radiators and IC's and motor mounts. So does junk yards, Marketplace and Craigslist.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Wiring radiator innercooler for transmission motor mounts all that good stuff
I wouldn't bother with factory diesel wiring.

Radiator.... The factory 1stgen diesel ones are a unique header/core support. Your may be a good candidate to cut in 2ndgen rad and intercooler. They're bigger, fit nice together, and they're more readily available.

The trans cooler "log" you can get from almost any auto Cummins dodge from 89 into the 2000's. The trans cooler in front of the rad... Might as well go with 2ndgen or something generic because you don't have the 1stgen diesel core support anyway.

1stgen mounts drop right into your old truck. They are getting harder to find.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts