Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does this latest 12 valve I have acquired seem to want a quick shot of starting fluid? It runs great. I found a can of starting fluid under the seat so the last owner must have been using it some... I have had to give it a shot twice. Stock engine.

Tommy :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
what does it do with out it smoke start than die nuthing at all? Is it cold ware you would need grid heaters to start are the heaters working? Not trying to be a jerk just need more info

·
Registered
550 Posts
if your grids arent working a little sniff of ether will get it going. where do you spray it? because it would take alot of cranking to get it from the airfilter intake to the engine id think.

·
Registered
550 Posts
well open the airfilter box and give it some down the intake tube, but it would take a ton of cranking to get it through the turbo, across the intercooler and into the intake of the engine.

·
Registered
550 Posts
well about 5 seconds or so to get it sucked along. im used to my 8630 where it takes about 10 seconds of cranking before it gets from the precleaner stack into the engine, but then it has to pass through 2 airfilters first. sorry for the mis information.

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
next time you get the chance, squirt ether or brake cleaner at your air box while the engine is idling... don't spray a lot!!! just give it a quick tap and watch how quick the engine revs up... almost instantly.

5.9 liters per revolution remember

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
If your grid heaters are not working, you might be glad. Apparently they can prematurely set off the starting fluid with some nasty results to the engine. I would not use the stuff. For starters (pun intended) try using the hand primer button on the lift pump. Push it a bunch of times. At first do you feel air, then fuel as you continue pushing? If so, you have a classic air leak and you are losing prime when the truck sits for a long time. You don't mention how long the truck sits before you need to use the fluid, my guess is overnight.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If your grid heaters are not working, you might be glad. Apparently they can prematurely set off the starting fluid with some nasty results to the engine. I would not use the stuff. For starters (pun intended) try using the hand primer button on the lift pump. Push it a bunch of times. At first do you feel air, then fuel as you continue pushing? If so, you have a classic air leak and you are losing prime when the truck sits for a long time. You don't mention how long the truck sits before you need to use the fluid, my guess is overnight.
:agree2: Yeah they can but if you dont cycle the heaters then it is unlikely to happen. Its more damaging to glow plug engines tho. And over using either can kick your starter of the block( been there done that):banghead:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I said stock engine but should have mentioned the previous owner installed a filter directly to the turbo for some reason and I just haven't fixed that yet. A quick shot to the filter and it didn't turn over more than once and it was running. Temps here have been in the 60's so it wasn't a cold issue and my grids are working. I felt like it was losing its prime like someone said in an earlier post. I just bought this one and have been fixing a lot of little things but overall the truck runs very well. I drove 210 miles in it Sunday morning without any issues other than it wanting starting fluid after it sat for a little while.

Edit: first time was first thing in the morning, then once again after it sat for 30-45 minutes.

Tommy :)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
next time you get the chance, squirt ether or brake cleaner at your air box while the engine is idling... don't spray a lot!!! just give it a quick tap and watch how quick the engine revs up... almost instantly.

5.9 liters
per revolution remember
Talk about run away

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
If it needs a spray in that warm of temp, then the engine is addicted to the stuff. Only will get worse from here on if you keep using it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts