Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local off-road performance place sells AMSoil 10W30 synthetic diesel oil. I am thinking of using it, however I would like some imput from you guys first. I currently run 15W40 synthetic. Thanks.

·
CF Administrator
12,436 Posts
I run Amsoil 5w30 premium diesel oil about 15000 miles per change, im on my 3rd change now, no problems, easy starting and smooooothed it right out. As a dealer myself I would highly recomend it but 10w-30 is just as fine :thumbsup:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I wasn't aware there was a 5w30 available. Do you know where I can get it? Is it something I can order online? Also, what kind of logevity can I expect from my truck? It has 87,000 miles now. I am kinda new to the whole diesel gig. This is my first diesel and I want it to last.

·
CF Administrator
12,436 Posts
Im not a site sponsor or I would sell it to you but just go to the amsoil corporate website and you can select any oil you want, and grab an EAO80 filter for the cummins while your there and you can have it shipped right to your door or if you go back to that place that sells it, im sure they can order some for you

AMSOIL Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil, Engine Oil

·
CF Administrator
12,436 Posts
Thanks. I wasn't aware there was a 5w30 available. Do you know where I can get it? Is it something I can order online? Also, what kind of logevity can I expect from my truck? It has 87,000 miles now. I am kinda new to the whole diesel gig. This is my first diesel and I want it to last.
sorry i didnt catch that second part. I bought my truck with 40,000 on it and im turning 75,000 now and not a problem 1 in between. Guys on here run theres 150+easy with heavy mods and performance, these cummins will last you a long time so long as you can take care of it and keep your foot out of it when your not supposed to be on it (like dont keep rodding it if your egt's are climbing or your sure to melt it down)

you will love what you can do with the cummins and the reliability of it

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
I've run the Amsoil 5W30 synthetic for the past 10K, and getting ready to do an oil change. I think I'm gonna switch over to 15W40 as it's about $40 cheaper for 4 gallons.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
im just wondering if everyone on here that is running 10 to 15 thousand miles in betwwen oil changes, if they are using anything special or is it just the Amsoil is so good you can go that long with out hurting the engine.

·
CF Administrator
12,436 Posts
im just wondering if everyone on here that is running 10 to 15 thousand miles in betwwen oil changes, if they are using anything special or is it just the Amsoil is so good you can go that long with out hurting the engine.
yes that is just the amsoil and the EAO80 filter... amsoil is good stuff man, just think about this...

how can you run your transmission 60,000 miles on one change without hurting your transmission???? its all in the technoligy of the fluids my friend.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
yes that is just the amsoil and the EAO80 filter... amsoil is good stuff man, just think about this...
No question that a synthetic will reduce friction. However the problem is the increased friction caused by particulate matter typicaly carbon that quickly contaminates the oil. If an oil filter is good enough to remove all the carbon, there should be a proportional drop in oil pressure deliverd to the crank and rods. As the miles increase the filter pressure drop will also increase. For my 2 cents, I will use standard Rotella or Delano and change with a good filter every 5,000 miles.

·
CF Administrator
12,436 Posts
No question that a synthetic will reduce friction. However the problem is the increased friction caused by particulate matter typicaly carbon that quickly contaminates the oil. If an oil filter is good enough to remove all the carbon, there should be a proportional drop in oil pressure deliverd to the crank and rods. As the miles increase the filter pressure drop will also increase. For my 2 cents, I will use standard Rotella or Delano and change with a good filter every 5,000 miles.
True, but IMO your shooting yourself in the foot $$$$ wise because your spending x3 as much on a oil and filter change at 5000 as I would in 15000 miles I did forget to mention you could however change the single EAO80 filter @7500 miles and run the original oil to 15 or go with a setup below. It will pay for itself over time changing your oil and filters every 15000 vs every 5000
AMSOIL - By-pass Oil Filter Mounting Kits
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
The owners manual states for light duty use change every 15K miles, and for severe duty use change every 7.5K miles. I split the difference and I have an Amsoil bypass filtration system in place using synthetic fluid. Amsoil recommends oil changes at 25K miles. In addition, I have my oil analyzed.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
i dont care what oil i'm runnin, theres no way im puttin 15000 miles on my truck with all the soot that is produced from my mods/driving style. on a stock truck i'd sure as hell do it, but no way i'm runnin more than 8-10 even w/ amsoil. . . .

·
Registered
40 Posts
AMEN!! I hope everyone running that many miles is doing oil analysis! Under perfect circumstances, AMSOIL i'm sure is great. But stop and go traffic, ideling, dust, etc... Id rather be safe and change oil at 7,000 miles rather than 15,000, and spend half as much on oil.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
i dont care what oil i'm runnin, theres no way im puttin 15000 miles on my truck with all the soot that is produced from my mods/driving style. on a stock truck i'd sure as hell do it, but no way i'm runnin more than 8-10 even w/ amsoil. . . .
AMEN!! I hope everyone running that many miles is doing oil analysis! Under perfect circumstances, AMSOIL i'm sure is great. But stop and go traffic, ideling, dust, etc... Id rather be safe and change oil at 7,000 miles rather than 15,000, and spend half as much on oil.
Whatever works for you guys is great. I'm comfortable with my decision as well. I do know that my truck idles and runs A LOT smoother than it did with dino oil, and that makes me happy. The by-pass filtration is proven to extend OCI's and that saves me money.

·
Banned
146 Posts
I too am an Amsoil Dealer and I agree with the more changes are better. I am running 10W30 SYn on a 5000 oil change interval. It is cheap insurance on this motor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts