Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it use to be a 10, looked like the the 10 in this pic...

and here it is right before install...

i noticed a loss of power and smoke, its not as peppy. why is that? your supposed to slide it forward on the adjusteing screws right? and have the startwheel all the way forward? whatd i do wrong?

· Registered
3,126 Posts
maybe the gov arm is getting hung up???

· Registered
9,910 Posts
Their is a possibility that the gov arm is getting snagged under the plate if you havent checked and adjusted it!

· Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
adjusted the plate or the gov arm? how do you go about doin that?

· Cummins Power Addict
992 Posts
Interested in this as well. Been having some issues with afc/pump tuning lately.

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
Don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence here, but when you reinstalled the AFC (not the fuel plate), did you make sure that was slid full forward (to the front of the truck) as well?
Probably the most common cause of power loss after fooling with the plate.
Easy to space it out...

Governor Arm Adjustment

· Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not insulted at all, just lookin for an answer. is the afc the start wheel? or the whole thing that you remove the 4 bolts from? it looked like the front bottom one had a round hole instead of oval? im about to go out there and play with now, ill let ya know.

· Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just scooted it all the way forward, same thing. anyone runnin w/o a plate? i was tryin to find the horse power differences between 0, 10, and 100 couldnt find it. which is most aggressive?

· Registered
9,910 Posts
o/100/no plate all fuel the same in the higher rpms, no difference in power at all (the small notch at the bottom of the 100 plate is neglegable unless you have a gutted AFC.

The 10 plate obviously limits fuel quite a bit down low and mid, but in the higher end rack travel is only limited a little bit more. This all assuming the plates are full forward.

Its all fairly clear in the picture you posted above. The gov arm starts at the bottom and rides up to the top of the plate with increasing rpms.

· Cummins Fanatic
125 Posts
Would governor arm misadjustment cause heavy smoke and sluggishness at lower RPM and then a sudden burst of power?:confused013:

· Cummins Fanatic
125 Posts
And what do you mean by a gutted AFC?:confused013:

· Registered
9,910 Posts
What you descibe sounds like a badly tuned afc (or gutted, AKA the arm removed, disabling the AFCs function)

Its dumping in too much fuel, drowning the fire, then it slowly builds rpm and gets enough heat to light the turbo and its off to the races!

What you may find if the gov arm is snagging the edge of the plate, the truck will run kind of gutless, no smoke/no power, then all of a sudden get a blast of power if the arm manages to get back onto the face of the plate.

· Cummins Fanatic
125 Posts
:confused013:What do you suggest for tuning the AFC?.... I was thinking about an AFC spring kit from TST and a 3K GSK kit also what do you think?

· BlackedoUT VP
987 Posts
i have noticed that going from a 10 to 100 plate has had this same problem in multiple trucks. mainly the trucks with the 913 pump they are extremely tempermental

· Registered
9,910 Posts
Their are mixed feelings about any of the aftermarket AFC springs...

What have you done with the AFC?

If you have the starwheel slacked right off, tighten it up a bit till their is a slight bit of tension on the spring. Then keep tightening it up till you stop putting out the fire on acceleration!

· Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what if i grind that notch at the bottom off and make it a #0 plate?

· Registered
9,910 Posts
Nothing....

What you are describing is overfueling at lower RPMs. This is controlled by the AFC, that notch ont he bottom of the plate really is not going to do much unless your creating 10psi+ boost just off idle.

· Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
how the hell are you supposed to adjust the arm when the pumps in the truck?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.