Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got an 03, 305hp, auto, 4wd. Im competely stock for now, but that will soon change. I cant afford for my truck to go down though (work truck). So, before I up the power I need to beef up the trans. Whats the #1, right out of the gate mod I need to do to keep my truck on the road after engine mods? Where do I get it? Installation? How much? Thanks!

·
ILLINOIS NORTHERN VP
2,061 Posts
transmission. Try HTS or Goerend, they do really good jobs and all in one day. call them up and see what you need done.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
At a minimum get a VB. I got a Goerend VB and love it. Shifts are tighter and fluid temps are lower. If you do a Goerend, then get the upgraded anchor and strap kit for the bands, they help the bands not to flex as much...then do a TC....Goerend VB w/anchor and strap kit was approx $600 and $200 for install.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
'o3 305hp with a auto??? Thought the 'o3 HO motors were 6 speeds?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought the shafts could hold up to 500hp? And yep, its an 03 auto, laramie,with the 305hp motor.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I thought the shafts could hold up to 500hp? And yep, its an 03 auto, laramie,with the 305hp motor.
The 03 years had problems with the heat treatment of the shafts. Post 04.5 are the good shafts that are good to 450ish. Its much better to due everything at once instead of going back to install this and that. I recommend a V/B T/C and Input this will leave your Flex Plate the weak link and also the easiest to replace.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
'o3 305hp with a auto??? Thought the 'o3 HO motors were 6 speeds?
In late 2003 the 48re became an option behind the HO triple nickel motors...Cummins and Dodge play with the engine/transmission options wayyy too much:lol3:

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
i would also say a valve body, i've sold many of the BD ones to local contractors and have always had great feedback on them.

here is one testimonial
12/4/2006

BD Valve Body Install (ncguy165) ****(stars)
Valve body provide nice firm shifts but not harsh. Instructions were very easy to follow. Core credit was also an easy transaction. Only tip I can add is (if possible) as the instuctions state, verify your trans pressure with your existing valve body, it will come in handy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got a Banks torque converter and it feels like it can really handle anything you wanna throw at it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
so without a better valve body my torque converter is still being stripped a little, eh? Could I get away with just swappin that out for a better one and leaving the rest of the tranny stock?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts