Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember seeing a thread a while ago where someone got a driveshaft out of a duramax. I can't remember the measurments, Anyone got them? And what u-joints are they?

·
Registered
731 Posts
i remember that thread too, but they never did say what body style the got it from, or maybe it was what truck/trans/rear they had. at any rate i never did gleen enough info to go and get one myself. i am not fond of the carrier bearing! or them silly lift blocks they put on these things!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Did a quick search and couldn't find the thread. The truck was a crew/short box chevy. U-joints were the same.

·
Registered
731 Posts
thanks ditch baby.

just remembered why i didn't look into it further. he had a six speed, wouldn't fit my 5 speed without being modified.

·
Registered
376 Posts
would it work on an auto trans?

·
Registered
731 Posts
i'm pretty sure all the trans have a different length. all i know for sure is the nv4500 and nv5600 are different.

Reactions: kfelt09

·
Registered
376 Posts
thank you much! im going to look into it a little more, as my carrier baring is shot and i dont feel like replacing the piece of junk with another one

·
Registered
806 Posts
I seem to remember a post from years back when I was running my 2000 5spd someone was saying dodge actually offers a 1pc replacement for our trucks. Anyone else?!? Or am I really startin to Lose it?

Supposedly it had a real mopar part #, and you could order it from the stealership if they could or would take the time to look for it as most don't know it's there... Sorry if it's not the dodge... I run dirtymax's too..

Also, rather than modifying a chevy shaft, take your 2pc shaft to any good driveline shop and have the slip yoke end and the diff yoke end cut off and welded on a new pipe... Way cheap that way, it's what I do. My .02, good luck!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
If you still have a phone book(they are getting hard to come by it seems) look up driveshaft and see who around you does driveshafts. Measure how far it is from front u joint to rear before you call, and ask them what it costs to build a shaft. Usually only costs a couple to three hundred bucks, which is cheaper than the dealership anyhow I bet.

Theres certain rules of thumb they follow, DOT regulations etc. it will probably end up being a 4 or 4.5" tube. I hadnt had time to worry about it on my cummins yet but did this a long time ago on my powerstroke.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine vibrates horribly and its time to fix it. Can't seem to find ant crew cab d-maxes around here. I ordered an aluminum shaft for my el camino from a place called "shaftmasters" yes that's the name, very good quality, good prices, I think it was $350 for a 4" with u-joints and yoke shipped

1 - 13 of 13 Posts