Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 more reason not to buy a ford

1710 Views 15 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Bluedually4x4
Apparently it is okay for the leaf springs to shift and not all stay parallel in Ford spring packs. The head service man at the dealer in town told me they do that some times. Guess I can add our 08 1 ton dually powerjoke to our growing list of unsafe trucks we have at work. Plus with no tow package on the truck, it is only rated for 13,000 pounds. Not really enough to pull a 12,000 pound skidsteer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
526 Posts
I've got one leaf in my right springpack that's sticking out a little sideways like that... I think it's broken. :banging:

· Registered
9,910 Posts
bah! thats perfect....

Check out this beauty i drove for 8 weeks with the whole spring pack busted completely off and wrapped with chain to hold it together!

We get sick of replacing front springs on these pigs so we just left this one like this until we were done work at this site (appx 2 year job), drove it into town and had the spring replaced before it was driven back across the country to the main office :rof

· Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey its all about saving money, the hell with safety.

· Registered
289 Posts
On my old f-150 it the rear packs did the same thing, twisted to the one side a little bit

· Registered
1,244 Posts
You guys that are brand bashers crack me up.. Own all three and there all JUNK!!!!! I cant really say that stock-for stock-for stock....That any one is better than the other.

The spring packs usually do that when they get stretched out and articulated at the same time. I can find you 20 dodges tommorow including my own that have a crooked spring or two!

· Registered
1,244 Posts
Apparently it is okay for the leaf springs to shift and not all stay parallel in Ford spring packs. The head service man at the dealer in town told me they do that some times. Guess I can add our 08 1 ton dually powerjoke to our growing list of unsafe trucks we have at work. Plus with no tow package on the truck, it is only rated for 13,000 pounds. Not really enough to pull a 12,000 pound skidsteer.

Do you plan on hauling the skid steer in the bed of the truck....or on a trailer? Maybe you should visit DOT training 101'

· Registered
9,910 Posts
You guys that are brand bashers crack me up.. Own all three and there all JUNK!!!!! I cant really say that stock-for stock-for stock....That any one is better than the other.
LOL

Im not biased to any brand. they are ALL F'N JUNK, but typically in different areas...

I own 2 fords a dodge and a chev, all of them have their chitty quirks. Out of them all, i have to say my ol f150 has taken a beating like nothing i have ever seen and other than some minor damage its been an awesome truck.... but, i dont care for the flowerpoke diesels just as much as i dont care for the dmax...

· Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Actually I don't work for the oil field. That truck is a prime example of why accountants should not be allowed to order equipment. Also I have greatly over loaded my truck and aside from needing to be re-arched are still in much better shape. As for the DOT, lets just say they and the people I work for don't care.

· Registered
1,244 Posts
Actually I don't work for the oil field. That truck is a prime example of why accountants should not be allowed to order equipment. Also I have greatly over loaded my truck and aside from needing to be re-arched are still in much better shape. As for the DOT, lets just say they and the people I work for don't care.
Thats why you dont understand why a truck that rated for 13,000lbs CAN leagally haul a 12,000lb skid steer on a trailer..... BTW thats a rather LARGE skid steer. Probably the biggest one anyone makes.....

· Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is a Bobcat all wheel steer/ skid steer. And the problem with the truck is the truck is not rated to tow a trailer at all. There are no provisions in the frame for a trailer hitch, it has no gross COMBINED vehicle weight rating. It is a 4wd cargo truck, never intended to tow a trailer. If it where built for towing it would be rated for 20,000 pounds not 13,000 and it would have a factory class 4 hitch bolted to the frame. Not a chunk of angle iron hanging off the flat bed. However a class 4 still is only rated for 12,000 pounds so we really need a goose neck. Which we won't get because the department head will not spend the money for it because he is an accountant and does not understand anything we have just talked about.

· Registered
9,910 Posts
the department head will not spend the money for it because he is an accountant and does not understand anything we have just talked about.

Dont worry, they will figure it out soon enough...

Sadly it will probably happen after the hitch lets go and the trailer and skidsteer go on a rampage and kill a dozen people...

I wouldnt want to be the one driving the truck when that happens...

· Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thankfully my direct boss, gave me the go ahead to order some new overload springs, and enough 2" receiver stock to build a hitch that should be a little overkill. Really we just need a gooseneck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.