Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I would like to start out by saying what a great forum and I am Learning a lot. I only purchased my truck a couple of weeks ago so I am new cummins diesel engines. I do have a 1984 BJ42 Toyota Landcruiser with a 3B diesel, but its a lot different. My truck is a 2005 Ram Sport 3500 4x4 with 6 spd. tranny.

Over the past weekend I swithed all fluids to Amsoil synthetic and changed all filters? When I restarted the truck it sounded different. I am thinking that the amsoil synthetic oil quietened down the engine so now I can really hear the fuel injectors, It sounds like a loud knocking in the front of the engine and the fuel line to #1 Injector (I am assuming you call it #1, Its closest to the front of the engine) is pulsing a lot more than the others. Is this normal? I seen a post about this before, but there was no response. Its not smoking or running rough, but i took it for a run and it seemed like it had less power. I was thinking that this maybe from the fact that I used a DC air filter that looked a lot more restrictive than what the previous owner had installed ( A fram I think ?)I am nervous that I got dirt in the filter bowl when I changed the fuel filter because I filled the bowl with fuel, my dealers recommendation, before installing new filter. Thinking about this now it seems like a good way to ruin injectors by sending them some unfilterd fuel. Also could this be related to the threads I have been reading on cp3 timing? Is there a way to test injectors myself? The nearest dealer is 4 hours away.

Sorry for all the newbe questions.

Thanks for your help.
Neal

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
I dont believe you need to worry about filling the bowl. Read your owners manual. I think it says to just turn your key on and try to turn the engine over. If it doesnt start right away try it a few more times but do not run the starter for more than a couple of seconds each time. The system will purge air on its own. Correct me if im wrong guys. I did just that when changing my filter and NO prob.

·
4,669 Posts
Hey NFS-NT, Im also having an injector knock (#1) i can feel the #1 line thumping along with the loud ticking. Ive had an injector tick before but this one is LOUD. Truck runs fine but off to dealer tomorrow for trans tsb and to check this knocking out. Let us know what you find out with your knockin injector line.

·
4,669 Posts
well its not my injector, dealer thinks it may be a broken wrist pin. ANYONE know anything @ wristpins and damage done to motor when they break?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I would think that if you had a broken wrist pin you would not be wondering about it. As far as the #1 injector line pulsing mine does it. I have had all 6 injectors replaced and the engine at times purrs like a kitten and other times sounds like a bucket of bolts. I have decided as long as it's getting decent mileage (it is 19 - 20 empty) and pulls good (it does) I'm gonna run it and turn the radio up when the noises bother me.

·
4,669 Posts
What does a wrist pin sound or feel like if its broken and what damage can it do to the motor?

·
Registered
533 Posts
If the wristpin broke I don't think your engine would be running anymore... The wristpin is what holds the piston on the connecting rod, If it breaks your piston is gonna be moving all over the place and would probly end up destroying your motor.

·
Registered
866 Posts
If the wristpin broke I don't think your engine would be running anymore... The wristpin is what holds the piston on the connecting rod, If it breaks your piston is gonna be moving all over the place and would probly end up destroying your motor.
I agree totally.

·
4,669 Posts
I only drove @ 100 miles (easy ) back home then to dealer. Since i know NOTHING @ motors internally i dont know what a wrist pin does or damage it can do. I do know that the truck still ran fine and didnt smoke. Idled fine, starts good,no problems but the (motor knock). This knocking isnt like a rod knock but it is louder than a ticking injector. Which they did test and i was standing there when they killed each one and it still knocked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2003 and I have the exact same thing, loud ticking and #1 injector line thumps in time with the tick. I think it might have something to do with the timing of that injector opening compared to the pressure pulse from the CP3. Just my best guess though.

I'm not overly concerned (anymore) about it as it has been doing most noticeably since I switched to Amsoil, and there is no smoke, lack of power or any other symptom that might suggest something terminal was brewing inside the engine.

Hope this helps.

Mike

·
4,669 Posts
I know its NOT an injector, the mech. killed each one and the mech. and i both could still hear the knock. I dont know why he thought it is a wristpin, but he is pulling head to track the prob. down. He is also gonna pull the oilpan off to look at the lower end. I still cant imagine that the motor is that badly hurt.Especially since it runs so good, but there is a loud engine knock. I hope they find it quickly, i haul hotshot 4 a living (pools).

·
4,669 Posts
Well im gettin a new (warranty) short block. Dealer said # 1 cylinder was scored a bit from what they think was broken wrist pin. They said DC was sending a new shortblock so they werent gonna tear the old one apart to see if it was actually a wristpin. They said 2-3 days til delivery and a few more to put back together. I have @ 75000 on the old one and they said my new one will keep the remainder of the warranty. I have been wanting a t/c and v/b, so i think this may be a good time to do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts