Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a hard time finding a shop and/or parts to level out my 2001 2WD 2500. Finally found a shop and after a few returned calls quoted me $1,400 installed? How!? Also I am new to the game as I just got my 2nd gen a few months back. Any advice would help as this is the first thing I want to get done on the truck. Any recommendations on parts? Am I looking for the right thing here? I just want the front level with the rear so I can get a little bit bigger tire and wheel over stock.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Depends on the kit used. You can get the spacer based leveling kit for say under $200, in that case you are getting hosed. If it’s a full carli or thuren based kit with coils and shocks, then it’s more reasonable.
I also believe that a leveling kit will not allow a bigger tire. I believe you are limited to rubbing the control arms and rear part of the front fender. Height of the fender is rarely an issue. CJC just posted about what you have to do to fit a 37” here: http://instagr.am/p/CUqqGhcJQkb/

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on the kit used. You can get the spacer based leveling kit for say under $200, in that case you are getting hosed. If it’s a full carli or thuren based kit with coils and shocks, then it’s more reasonable.
I also believe that a leveling kit will not allow a bigger tire. I believe you are limited to rubbing the control arms and rear part of the front fender. Height of the fender is rarely an issue. CJC just posted about what you have to do to fit a 37” here: http://instagr.am/p/CUqqGhcJQkb/
I've seen a lot of leveling kits with 33-35" tires. I know Carli is the higher end stuff but i just want to level out the front with the rear. Nothing fancy (yet)

·
Registered
21,493 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Did they give you a paper copy of the estimate, or was it just over the phone? It seems like we're missing something major here.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I am having a hard time finding a shop and/or parts to level out my 2001 2WD 2500. Finally found a shop and after a few returned calls quoted me $1,400 installed? How!? Also I am new to the game as I just got my 2nd gen a few months back. Any advice would help as this is the first thing I want to get done on the truck. Any recommendations on parts? Am I looking for the right thing here? I just want the front level with the rear so I can get a little bit bigger tire and wheel over stock.
There are a multitude of leveling kits available. At a mimimum you will need front spring spacers. Longer shocks, and changes to the trackbar are other possible options. Shock tower delete plates are another option if you want to run the stock shocks and keep costs as low as possible.

Are you willing or able to attempt the work yourself? It's a very easy project. A set of spring compressors is the only specialty tool that would be handy to have. Some parts stores rent them for free.

Reactions: Klausenheimer

·
Registered
965 Posts
...quoted me $1,400 installed? How!? ...
I don't wanna go in on you but if you can't do the work yourself, there's no point in complaining about the cost of having it done. There's a number of reasons why they quoted you that. Labor times are approaching $150/hr in my area and I'm sure they're higher other places. Many shops will actually up their hourly rate on vehicles that are over a certain number of years old as well. It could come down to they don't want to put a leveling kit on an almost 25 year old truck.

The other things you failed to mention are: What brand is the kit? Is it just a level or does it include a trackbar? Are they gonna do an alignment too?

If you think all of that is expensive just wait until you find out that those 35" mud tires you want are $450 each with a $50 mount charge, $50 balance charge, tire disposal charge, misc shop materials charge, hazmat disposal charge, etc. etc. and we haven't gotten to the price of the wheels yet.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Even a base from our shop: $99 for an alignment, $25 per tire m&b, $4 per tire for disposal, $100/hour for labor, shop supplies are 5% of parts(no more than $100), if parts cost are greater than $1000 markup is 35%(unless dealer, always 30%), if less than $1000 markup is 50%. Tires are whatever Discount Tire price is, minus $5/tire. Customer supplied parts have no warranty, and labor charge is $120/hour.

Just an idea of what we would base our quote off of.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
You need to ask them how they are leveling it. What parts they're using.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Did everyone miss the fact that he is 2wd?

What parts are they quoting you for? Springs? Shocks? Lift spindle? Ball joints? Upper arm? Plus labor, alignment is a must.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is 2.5 inch at Rockauto for $75/pair. Available elsewhere in 1", 2", and 3" in addition the 2.5" Takes any qualified shop about 1-2 hours to install.

Not sure what I’m looking at when I click the link.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still waiting for the call back for details. Thanks for the replies so far! I guess maybe I was under the impression I could get the front leveled for $500 max installed. Seems like it’s only about an hour of labor for a shop to do it so even if it was 150/hr for labor I just didn’t see this costing more than $500.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Still waiting for the call back for details. Thanks for the replies so far! I guess maybe I was under the impression I could get the front leveled for $500 max installed. Seems like it’s only about an hour of labor for a shop to do it so even if it was 150/hr for labor I just didn’t see this costing more than $500.
Even with 2WD, all you must absolutely have are the spring spacers. You may or may not need longer front shocks. I asked earlier if you were willing and able to try the install yourself? A DIY job could save you as much as $1300.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Even with 2WD, all you must absolutely have are the spring spacers. You may or may not need longer front shocks. I asked earlier if you were willing and able to try the install yourself? A DIY job could save you as much as $1300.
See this is what I thought was needed. Just spacers. I’ve seen guys do the level without changing the shocks. That’s why I’m surprised that this would cost over 4-500 bucks. I’m hearing mixed things now. I’m not sure id tackle this type of job myself.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Reactions: Marq92

·
Registered
21,493 Posts
Becaues only one in ten trucks is 2wd and most people that own one have no reason to do one. Sorry I missed the 2wd before.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can anyone tell me why I can’t find any leveling kits that fit 2WD??
They don’t make them… I did a redneck level on my 2wd, basically hockey pucks in the springs and it’s a PITA. Uninstalled 2 weeks later because everything else started to suck. I heard some stuff a while back about putting 3rd gen 2wd upper and lower arms on the 2nd gen chassis. You could look into that, not sure what kind of lift you’ll get out of it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts