Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've got a 09 quad cab 4x4 3500 c&c aisin with a 8 foot flatbed on it. I bought it 2 weeks ago and I was doing 13.5 mpg stock with mostly town driving. I did a dpf delete and took off 3 temp probes and the two aluminum lines going to it. I left the 2 ports where those lines connect open. I pulled the plunger out of the egr and unplugged it behind the intake tube. I then loaded the 23me economy tune from the smarty jr onto the truck. I also have a airaid air filter on it. I drove about 70 miles this morning and I'm getting 14 mpg . What's the deal did I miss something? Could a dirty map sensor do this? I'm gonna try the tow tune but just taking the dpf off should have gained me something. I'm not driving it hard at all. Any advice?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
how many miles are on the truck total?

I havent noticed a huge change but around 110k or so i started to consistently pick up 1mpg

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Truck has 90k miles. How do you reset overhead. I have been hand calculating but today I was using the lieometer. I switched to towing tune and got 16.5 -17 with mixed driving with a 4wheeler on the bed. Ran about 120 miles on it so far. Main question is does the egr sound correct for c&c? Is there any restrictions in the turbo I need to work on anywhere? I thought I hears something about silencer or something.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cleared the mpg on overhead by hitting the reset already if that's what your talkin about. I'd like to see 18 mpg at least . Took the 4wheeler out and it seems to hang in the 16s. But towing tune drives and shifts better than economy

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I wouldn't trust the overhead. Mine reads up in the mid 22 MPG when running empty and the tank is actual calced at mid 15 MPG. Might check to see if you have any codes present. No experience with the smarty on a CC but it seems like it takes the H&S a few hundred miles to settle in and run correctly.

·
Registered
867 Posts
removed my silencer...saw no reason for it to be in there l could justify..will definitley clear up air intake

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
unplugged it ? the throttle valve ? the egr motor on top of the intake is still plugged in, correct ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Egr motor is still plugged in but plunger is removed. What is the silencer and how do I remove it? I've played with settings best I've seen is tow tune standard settings 16 hand calculated. Has anyone been able to achieve 18 mpg empty? That's my goal but I may never get there. Also is there any difference in air filter on 5.9 & 6.7 the one I'm using is a airaid off my 5.9. It fit fine so I assumed it was ok. It's just a drop in filter.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
it's in the intake tube just past the air box

·
Registered
867 Posts
Egr motor is still plugged in but plunger is removed. What is the silencer and how do I remove it? I've played with settings best I've seen is tow tune standard settings 16 hand calculated. Has anyone been able to achieve 18 mpg empty? That's my goal but I may never get there. Also is there any difference in air filter on 5.9 & 6.7 the one I'm using is a airaid off my 5.9. It fit fine so I assumed it was ok. It's just a drop in filter.

Thanks
baffle removal,,,this guy has a great site for mods to our trucks with pics

CarboniteCummins - Articles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts