Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into buy a new truck and I want to know if there as anything I should be weary of with this new engine and trans? I am undecided of Single or Duels but most likely a Mega Cab and Definitely 4x4. Thanks

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Personal I would go with a g56 trans.

If you buy one make sure it has the latest flash.

Also would have to consider taking the Exaust off and EGR and Getting an Edge w/ Att. To clear soft codes from the deletes or you will get to know dealers petty well. :thumbsup

·
Registered
721 Posts
The only reason I bought a 6.7 is because of the 68rfe. I love mopar's new 6 speed auto. I'm born and bread manual but, man I love this tranny. Unless you tow heavy, stick with singles. These trucks already get poor fuel milage.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Love my truck, wouldn't have anything else. Don't fear the auto, it's a very nice transmission, I pull heavy loads and it does great. Fuel mileage is all over the boards, some get really bad, some get decent. I personally am getting 18's hand calculated on the highway and 14's in town driving. I would also not be afraid of the emission stuff, it does restrict the engine, but so far for me not a single hick up. The truck runs great, pulls like a champ, and is a blast to own. I didn't buy my truck for the mileage, it gets better than any gasser of the same size and out performs them too. If you're looking to buy one to be used and not some tuner street queen then you will be happy if you get one. :thumbsup

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I am currently looking into my new truck and going to put the duramax to work. Just kind of skeptical of autos form dodge(been burnt in the past). Ill keep you all informed, Thanks for the advice.:beer

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I almost went with a 6.7 myself. I say go for it!!! I would get a DPF & EGR delete though. However, it will void the warranty. Don't fear the 68RE it will hold up better than the 48RE. Good luck!!! :thumbsup

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thanks, I am currently looking into my new truck and going to put the duramax to work. Just kind of skeptical of autos form dodge(been burnt in the past). Ill keep you all informed, Thanks for the advice.:beer

I know far more that have been burned with Ford and Chevy diesels. Yes, theres been some emissions issues with the new 6.7L but even more with the new Fords and Chevy's.

The 6spd auto and the exhaust brake are awesome. The vast majority of the problems with the 6.7L have been resolved. It is one strong engine. Love it!

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I agree with all the other Pro 6.7 owners here. The 68RE works the way a trans is supposed to and the EB is super cool. Now if I could just get my mileage up it would be awesome. I've been driving like a Grandpa trying to get better mileage but today I decided to start driving a bit more aggressively to break it in quicker. I'm scared of what the mileage is going to be but it's much more fun driving it this way. This thing hauls balls!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts