Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really wanting to buy an 08 mega 4x4 with 6.7. I have been researching this for 2 months. I have never seen so many complaints and problems with any truck ever. I have never heard of so many customers trying to get the Lemon Law applied. If Dodge and Cummins really feel they have fixed there problems then instead of offering 2.99 per gallon fuel for 12000 miles a yr for 3 yrs they should in writing guarantee you that if you have CEL problems and your engine is not preforming to a certain standard they will buy it back. I really would like to get this truck and I am just terrified I will have the same problem with mpg plus all the engine problems. I also no that any resale is out if they do not fix these problems because everyone will know to stay away from this motor.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
The problems have been mostly in the 07.5s. Not nearly as many issues with the 08s. Fuel mileage is all over the map. Some get crap others get near 18-19 stock. With all the emissions parts that are bogging this truck down its not hard to see fuel mileage drops, along with the larger displacement vs the 5.9. I personally love my truck and only getting 17 MPG.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problems have been mostly in the 07.5s. Not nearly as many issues with the 08s. Fuel mileage is all over the map. Some get crap others get near 18-19 stock. With all the emissions parts that are bogging this truck down its not hard to see fuel mileage drops, along with the larger displacement vs the 5.9. I personally love my truck and only getting 17 MPG.
Well, Loving your truck is the first thing!!! And unfortunatly with fuel cost mpg is a major player also. I am real close to buying especially at the price after discounts. Thanks

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yep, we have had no problems with our 08 with 15000 miles

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have 22800 miles on my 07 and have only had one issue the first day i bought it the turbo speed sensor went out at least that is what the tech told me....other than that i have towed a trailer to NM and back without any issues... I avg 19.9mpg bone stock on a trip from TX to SC and back. Now with the 35" tires i get 14.77mpg but if you wanna play you gotta pay:lol3:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I don't own a 6.7 but all the problems I've read about point to the emissions stuff. Not the truck or engine. I say get one and take that stuff off. Don't be scared away by the naysayers, I know it's a lot of money but hey, it's awesome!!!

·
Where's my sparkplugs????
1,046 Posts
I didn't get a 6.7 just for modding reasons. I did test drive oneand loved it though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Love mine, and no issues yet. She runs good, pulls good, and gets better mileage than my Jeep plus has more room. I don't think you are seeing that many issues in the scheme of things. I was talking to my Service Manager at the stealership and he said they have only had the early 6.7's in with issues, and only the O2 sensor recalls nothing else, no 08's at this point for engine issues. He said no issues with the DPF yet either. Guess we have a good batch out here. :thumbsup

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I have an 07.5 that has had its fair share of cel's but I would not trade it for anything else:thumbsup

·
Registered
368 Posts
I am really wanting to buy an 08 mega 4x4 with 6.7. I have been researching this for 2 months. I have never seen so many complaints and problems with any truck ever. I have never heard of so many customers trying to get the Lemon Law applied. If Dodge and Cummins really feel they have fixed there problems then instead of offering 2.99 per gallon fuel for 12000 miles a yr for 3 yrs they should in writing guarantee you that if you have CEL problems and your engine is not preforming to a certain standard they will buy it back. I really would like to get this truck and I am just terrified I will have the same problem with mpg plus all the engine problems. I also no that any resale is out if they do not fix these problems because everyone will know to stay away from this motor.
no problems here at 10k miles on the 07.5 .
more complaints on any truck ever ? read the furd forums .
as far as engine problems : i really haven't heard of any . this is the same basic engine as the 5.9 just bigger bore . the problems were with the emissions stuff . most seems to have been resolved .

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
My dad has a 08 with no problems @ 6k

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mine was born 4/07. Pushing 14K. I've never had a problem, runs beautifully, pulls well and is a great ride. Bone stock and I'm impressed with the power! Averaging 17 mpg when not in regen.

Keeping my finger crossed that the performance continues.

·
Registered
600 Posts
You should never use a forum to judge how well a product works. These forums in most cases will bring out more people that have had problems than not. It's just the nature of a forum. There are a few threads here that praise these trucks, and you will always have a few lemons when your talking about the production of a truck that has thousands of parts, many of which are produced all over the world, and you have hundreds of thousands produced and sold to consumers. I think the saying is one in a million?

Personally, I have only ever been in the shop one time when the G30 recall came out last summer, and was actually in there for an oil and fuel filter change when the dealer brought it up. 47,000 miles and counting, and not one...single...problem. Buy it!!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
When I first joined this forum last year and started reading all the problems I thought I made a big mistake buying a 6.7l, but 17,000 miles later and no problems. I abuse my truck, water/mud, offroading, racing, etc. This has been a great rig. I used to get a "change oil" light fairly often but I guess one of the flashes took care of that. I would buy a 6.7 again.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Mine has been in the shop at least 10 times for various CEL's and a replacement turbo. I think the original poster has a valid point. It does look like Dodge & Cummins are genuinely trying to fix the problems but they haven't proven to me that they have a handle on the 2262 turbo problems. It's still the same design.

The future is unclear to me. Maybe Dodge & Cummins will get their act together and totally resolve the problems. On the other hand these trucks might become Albatross's similar to the Oldsmobile diesels of the 1980's. In 5 years technology could move in a different direction and you won't be able to give these trucks away. The hot rod guys might be able to avoid the worst scenario because they have the ability to ditch the dpf and egr. The typical owner probably won't be able to do that.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
My 08 runs well with no issues thus far. I just hate the cup holders - what a joke
I think this says it all. There were certainly some startup issues but I believe they are pretty much resolved now. We are at the point where people are complaining about the cupholders...which do suck!

Yes it has emmisions stuff. You guys can whine about tree huggers all you want but if you want to have an earth left for our children we have to think about that. And emmisions controls do not come free. Some of the cost of diesel is also due to emmisions (ULSD is no longer a direct by-product of the production of gas I am told). So to run clean we pay for it many ways (cost of equip, cost of fuel, fuel mileage, reliability). And I'm OK with that myself. I bought the 6.7 because it was cleaner than a 5.9 and willing to pay for that. I also like that it is quieter than a 5.9.

Y'all are probably gonna banish me from the forum for saying it out loud but I know I'm not alone.

I might think about a dpf delete...but only if I'm running bio and everything coming out is biodegradeable. Until then I prefer not to litter rather than clean it up later.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts