Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2008 mega cab dually auto with 4.10's is getting 18 mpg hand calculated.. i just hit 5000 miles and have the superchips on the performance setting... without the superchips im getting 15 mpg.. has anyone else seen this increase in mpg with the warmer weather and the superchips??? :beer

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
dang did you drive down hill the whole tank :lol3:? jk... thats awesome for most trucks let alone a 6.7 with 4.10s.. with my 5.9 im lucky to see 17mpg :thud:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i averaged 18 on an unloaded trip on the highway 500 miles.... i did the math twice i didnt believe it eighter... that was the first time with the superchips that i took an unloaded trip long enough to calculate it... the truck usually doesnt leave the drive way without at least 16,000 pounds behind it...

·
Registered
419 Posts
thats pretty dam good.

im curious about he extra fuel you put in you tank when filling up. when i fill all the way up and the needle is passed the full mark, how much extra fuel am i putting in. is it enough to mess up my numbers? i want to get an accurate calculation and i know i have to be off when im starting with more than 34 gallons. i usually start when the needle hits the full line.

any input??

J-Mo

·
Registered
316 Posts
im curious about he extra fuel you put in you tank when filling up. when i fill all the way up and the needle is passed the full mark, how much extra fuel am i putting in. is it enough to mess up my numbers? i want to get an accurate calculation and i know i have to be off when im starting with more than 34 gallons. i usually start when the needle hits the full line.
any input??J-Mo
Not sure why you are looking at the gas gauge. Fill it until you can't put any more into the tank. Drive it, then fill it up again and note how many gallons it used for the miles driven. Gas gauge is of no use in computing mpg.

·
Registered
31 Posts
2007.5 mileage

I have a 2007.5 Megacab Ram 2500, no mods. Do have a cap on the truck

Just finished a 2000 mile roadtrip. 1000 miles unloaded averaging between 70-80 mph and hand calculated 17.8 mpg.

1000 miles pulling a 28' enclosed trailer with car, about 9K lbs. again average speed 65-75 mph, 9.6 mpg.

Truck has just over 5k miles on it, hopefully it gets better after 10-12 K miles on it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
my 2008 mega cab dually auto with 4.10's is getting 18 mpg hand calculated.. i just hit 5000 miles and have the superchips on the performance setting... without the superchips im getting 15 mpg.. has anyone else seen this increase in mpg with the warmer weather and the superchips??? :beer
Which Superchip unit are you using? The standard, or the Cortex?

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I got 20mpg one time and it was hand calculated. I topped the neck off before and after the trip. It made me so happy that it was possible but it must have just been perfect conditions because I can't seem to get more than 16mpg hwy anymore no matter what I do..

Isn't it funny how we are so happy with 18 mpg when the trucks just a couple years ago got so much better. My 03 SO sitting at 500rwhp got 22hwy all the time and 24 if I drove really slow. I had a new 1992 W250 and it got 22mpg all the time.
Those were the days.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
thats pretty dam good.

any input??

J-Mo
I use the same pump everytime and always let it stop itself and then I don't put anymore in.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
There is no prefect way to get the exact amount fuel in a tank every time.

Your hand cal. fuel milage is just a guess.

Do to air temp, pumps, amount of air in the tank causing the nozzle to shut off at differant times ect. :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
so you got 612miles to that tank of diesel?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I get at least 18mpg every time I calculate the mileage. I stopped after they were all the same, in the 18.4 region. I just put the calculator back in the truck. Maybe it will be different with the new turbo and new flash. I drive it like a little old lady. The overhead readout said 21.0 the other day and I haven't reset it for at least 7,000 miles.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
There is a perfect way. You fill it until there is fuel, not bubbles, all the way to the top of the neck. Stop pumping for a minute while it drains down and then fill it again. When the fuel stops dropping down the filler tube. Then it's full.... Kind of a pain but that is how you get the definite answer of what your mileage is as long as you do this before and after.....

G

·
I'm Destraught with all this. New York is getting 18, Nebraska is getting 20 and us Jorseyites can't seem to get 14 on a regular basis.

I was in Denver in March and ran into a guy with an identicle truck to mine. He claimed 24! There's a bunch of us from the same dealership that have these very low mileage woes. The Parts Manager there had Ma Mopar buy his back for an 08! I heard of several others being bought back too.

The parts manager hasn't seen 14 yet on his 3500 yet with 5000. I am just now seeing 13 with 9800. My 04 got 16/17 in the same driving and terrain, 20 on the highway. I have the latest flash done also.

This may be a bit off topic, but I for the life of me, can't figure it out.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mine is so friggin all over the map it is frustrating as hell. I have gotten 17 hand calculated 2 times but then the next time get 11. Couple weeks ago after having the turbo actuator replaced pulled our rv, 14,000 lbs, up and down some decent hills for a total round trip of 420 miles and got 11.8, thought COOL! So last weekend took a trip with the same rv, round trip 450 miles on ALL flat ground and got 8.5! GEZZZZZZ any chance of being consistent!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mileage Still Climbing

I have 3800 miles and it is clearly getting better all the time. My typical driving is short commutes, 8-10 miles at a time, suburban style with lights every .5 to 3 miles, short 3-10 mile interstate runs, and I get around 14 mpg. On the longer 55-75 mph road runs, I am in the high 16 range, mostly running cruise control. My first tank after my first oil change was also better by about .8 mpg, which I thought was very interesting. Side note...I leave my truck plugged in at night even in the 60 degree garage and it is at operating temp within a mile and a half, which seems to add about 2 mpg on my short commute to work some days. Haven't seen the electric bill go up, so going to keep doing it...also just in case I have to pull out fast in traffic and it is nice to be all warmed up. :peelout

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
There is a perfect way. You fill it until there is fuel, not bubbles, all the way to the top of the neck. Stop pumping for a minute while it drains down and then fill it again. When the fuel stops dropping down the filler tube. Then it's full.... Kind of a pain but that is how you get the definite answer of what your mileage is as long as you do this before and after.....
Only if the truck is in the same position when you fill. If it is at any angle in will be differant. :beer

G

·
You have a mega duallie auto with 4.10's? I'll I could find when I bought mine was 3.73's. Was your truck ordered with that, or can you get 4.10's as an option? A little off topic. I have the same truck with 3.73's and no programmer, but I only see at best 14. That is 30 miles of highway a day, with a little mix of city. Around 7 pulling my camper. I'm not that easy on it when I drive so I'm not complaining. I'd love to see better, but I didn't buy it for fuel milage. All that said, it's still getting better mpg than my hemi did. Esspecially pulling.

·
Pipeliner
770 Posts
ya i get about 16-17mpg i have the 4.10 rear end and i have 35'' toyos, my buddy has the same truck with 35'' mud terrains with the 3.73 and he is lucky if he gets 13-14mpg

1 - 20 of 42 Posts