Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I noticed a weird rattling through the steering wheel of my 07 2500 so i took it in. I was told that my track bar (the joints) and the sway bar links were wrecked and needed replacement. The truck only has 47,000km (like 29000miles) and its all highway. The dealer said they were denying a warranty claim because i have 35" mud tires. I think this is kinda BS because they said if i left the stock tires on it would be warrantied. Did the extra couple inches of tire make that big of a difference or are they just being dicks to me? They gave me an 800 number for chrysler which i could call to try to appeal their decision. Anybody ever tried this - suggestions?

I have half a mind to mount my original tires and take it to another dodge dealership. I'd rather not drop the $700 if i can get dodge to do it.

Thanks everybody,
JP

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Hey guys.

I noticed a weird rattling through the steering wheel of my 07 2500 so i took it in. I was told that my track bar (the joints) and the sway bar links were wrecked and needed replacement. The truck only has 47,000km (like 29000miles) and its all highway. The dealer said they were denying a warranty claim because i have 35" mud tires. I think this is kinda BS because they said if i left the stock tires on it would be warrantied. Did the extra couple inches of tire make that big of a difference or are they just being dicks to me? They gave me an 800 number for chrysler which i could call to try to appeal their decision. Anybody ever tried this - suggestions?

I have half a mind to mount my original tires and take it to another dodge dealership. I'd rather not drop the $700 if i can get dodge to do it.

Thanks everybody,
JP
Consider a Thuren adjustable trackbar in place of the stock one.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Many moons ago I worked at a Ford dealer, (dont beat me) We had guys all the time with Balljoint issues and lifts, it is up to the dealer, I would go to another dealer if I were you.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Whatever you do don't pay those jokers $700 to replace the factory crap with more factory crap! Spend the money on a Thuren Fab track bar and end links. Way better than stock and should only cost a bit over $500.

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,432 Posts
I agree, if you cant get another dealership to replace it for free, get the Thuren track bar!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great call on the aftermarket parts guys. Any idea where i can find one of these?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would ask them how they figure the marginal extra weight from larger tires could wear out the front end in a truck designed to carry a diesel engine! Thats like them trying to say they won't cover a pooched set of rear shocks because you towed a trailer or hauled something in the bed. Total BS! The increased wear and tear from the new tires is negligable when compared to the strain the entire truck sees from lugging around what?.....800-1000 lbs of engine on a daily basis? I would at the very least phone the DC head office and raise a stink about it. Some dealerships are absolute jokes and some are good....I guess we know which one you got stuck with. On the other hand, my brother just bought a 1500 quad cab Hemi from the same place I bought my Cummins and he had 35's and a 2" levelling kit put in by the dealership and all is covered by warranty. Only problem for me is its a 10 hour drive if I have to get any questionable warranty work done. :(

·
Registered
204 Posts
Also, tires don't wear out sway bar links. If thats the reason they denied that part of the claim I would definitely find a new dealership. Had they cited the levelling kit as the cause then maybe they'd have a leg to stand on. But from what you've said they blamed it on tires. And again, tires will not and CAN not wear out a sway bar link.....at least I've never seen or heard of it (especially on a hwy driven truck)

·
Registered
513 Posts
No, but a leveling kit can tweak the sway bar enough that it will cause the links to bend. The factory links are pencil thin and bend if you look at them wrong.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Exactly, thats why I stated had they cited the levelling kit as the cause of failure they would have a point. But they apparently noted the tires as the cause of the damage which is alot less likely. Hence, call DC and complain that their techs don't know squat and get it repaired on their dime. Me personally...I just emailed Don about an adjustable track bar to avoid such instances in the future! :D (my HBS kit is rolling around in the back of my truck waiting to be installed)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have actually just emailed Don and i'll have his parts showing up soon to do the repairs with. The dealers were phenomenal tools and even tried to charge me 25 bucks because the shop foreman had to test drive my truck!

Every time i go into a dealership i remember why i avoid them! I am going to call dodge though and try to get somebody in trouble. My company buys 3-4 3500's through dodge fleet every year. I shouldn't be getting the run around from some dumbass tech...

Oh, and they didnt even notice the levelling kit. Thats how clued out these bunyaks are.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts