Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
A lot of people think the adjustment is in the cable. From my understanding the adjustment isn't in the cable. Your e-brakes is a drum brake inside the disc in back. There is a star wheel you get to from the back to tighten everything up in back, assuming the drum brake parts are in good shape. The star wheel is very difficult to get at, one side being worse than the other.

Mine were pretty much shot inside and I replaced all the e-brake parts. Not very expensive as I recall but I ended up having to replace the discs in back since I had to beat them off with an 8 pound sledge. I'd say I spend a couple of hours just getting them adjusted after I installed them. Overall doing the back brakes was a real pain in the butt and to make maters worse I put rebuilt calipers on and one of them was junk and I had to do it twice.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Dodge man2 is correct. Just went through this. But mine weren't releasing. I replaced the shoes and rotors in the summer due to the parking brake hold down hardware breaking. I actually did a complete breaker job at that point. I adjusted the star wheel up and had brakes, but sometimes they wouldn't release all the way and dragged. I found the springs on the park brake cable were my problem. I replaced all the cables and adjusted the cable with the cable adjuster right under driver rear door. Per the manual all this adjuster does is sync the passenger and driver cables. All the adjustment is done with the star wheel

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same problem, ended up my wheel seals were leakingand the oil soaked brake pads wouldnt hold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts