Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First things first you can see my mods in my sig. I love my truck and this is the first time its ever died on me. Most all those mods were done at 40,000 miles I am now just under 81,000 miles. I make a 25 mile commute to work in the mornings and just as I get into the parking lot at work I notice that in low end third gear the pedal was spongy with not much response. I thought in my head thats weird. Turn a corner go 100 yards and push in the clutch and the thing dies????

So I stop and go through the startup with the edge clearing codes and notice that there is a check engine light that is staying on??? Anyone have this happen?

When attempted to start the truck sputters for 3 seconds and then just cranks like its not getting any fuel. If I try to crank it again right away it wont even sputter. I filled up with fuel last night is the problem. I am 30 miles into the tank.

With all that being said here is what I am leaning towards.......

1. Bad fuel
2. Fuel Filter neglect? Its been a while.
3. Dirty fuel + Dirty Filter
3. Fuel pump......hope not

Anyone have anything like this happen?? Its 33 degrees, raining and 15+ mph winds so I will have to wait a little later in the day to go look under the hood much. I will check the fuel can and filter a little later. Any of you guys have any ideas??? Anything else it could be?? I want to try to narrow this down a little before I go out this afternoon to dig in. Hoping its not something major but you would think it would have died abruptly. I do all my own work so this thing aint going to the dealer or a shop unless its internal engine stuff.

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
What codes are present that the edge isn't clearing? It might be helpful just to see the whole list of them cleared or not. Once you get that information we might be able to better diagnose a fuel pressure/supply problem or perhaps a timing problem like a bad crankshaft angle position sensor.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only code it shows is

P0405-EGR Position Sensor Circuit Low

I didnt know if that was from my EGR delete or not?? Hope fully its just something stupid like a loose connection if that is the problem.

That is also the only one it shows in the odometer code read as well.

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
Yep that is from the egr delete, hmm Do you have any gauges on it for fuel supply pressure?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No. Never figured I would need it with just the edge and MP-8. I cant even get the edge past level 3 without slipping the clutch so a pressure gauge was on the to do list after a clutch.

They are pulling a trailer out of a stall here at work and are gonna push it in for me. I am interested to see if there is any fuel in the fuel can and how bad my fuel filter is. I will admit my filter has not been changed in 20,000 miles since I moved, but i dont think it would just up and completely shut off fuel at once due to that?? Bad fuel I dont think would just shut off the truck either, you would think there would be some bucking or surging or sputtering while driving? The check engine light that does not clear is throwing me off as well. Is there anything that does not throw codes but sets off the chek engine? Unless my edge took a crap on me.

What is the best way to check the fuel pumps?? Just bump the starter when I have the can open??

PS I love your EGR delete plates, nicely done. Got them back when you first put them out to K2.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Little update:

Went out to get the truck into the shop and she started right up?????

Guessing with the rain and moisture that I have a connection that got wet or loose connection. After it dries out I will check connections. Can you guys think of anything else?? I think I just ruled out the fuel thing. I just dont want to think I am good to go and end up on the side of the highway half way home. :S::S::S:

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
wow, that is random, that is the behavior of my truck when the lift pump went out. I would be driving it for some time (usually about 20 minutes) and the truck would start to loose power then it would stall all together. The longer I let it sit after it stalled the longer it would run because the pump cooled off. I'd take a few laps around the block if I were you before you take off going home to make sure it won't exhibit the same phenomenon.

Thanks about the EGR plates, those there the first products I started making last year and I am getting ready to launch quite a few more on Keven's (K2) web page. Thanks for supporting us forum guys, I hope to be around here for a while :thumbsup:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow, that is random, that is the behavior of my truck when the lift pump went out. I would be driving it for some time (usually about 20 minutes) and the truck would start to loose power then it would stall all together. The longer I let it sit after it stalled the longer it would run because the pump cooled off. I'd take a few laps around the block if I were you before you take off going home to make sure it won't exhibit the same phenomenon.

Thanks about the EGR plates, those there the first products I started making last year and I am getting ready to launch quite a few more on Keven's (K2) web page. Thanks for supporting us forum guys, I hope to be around here for a while :thumbsup:
Well reason I freaked out is cause I had those issues with my 01 and the fuel pumps. I dont think I have heard of anyone having issues with these fuel pumps besides not enough fuel on WOT with heavy mods. When we get a nice day here I will pull all my connections/plugs apart and reconnect so I can rule that out. If it starts happening again Its got to be fuel related. Fuel filter is on its way.

Back to the EGR plates you made. Is there any benifit for me to upgrade to the complete delete of the cooler and all? Just save me some pounds?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I ran on a plugged fuel filter for a week 'cause I ran out and couldn't find one. Truck threw all sorts of codes. DPF full, EGR restriction, don't recall what else but there were more. Finally got a new filter and things were fine. I knew the filter was plugged 'cause I have a guage. Fuel filter observation is just as important in a stock truck as fuel pressure is in high HP trucks.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,458 Posts
If it does it again after you replace the fuel filter (which should be done ASAP so if it is the fuel pump straining you can possibly nurse it a while longer), try completely disconnecting the Edge Juice and running with the CEL on for a couple of days. It could just be that the Juice module is crapping out on you.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,247 Posts
20,000 miles on a fuel filter is not neglect. Its recommended at every 15,000 miles. But if you get dirty fuel well that will kill a filter after a 100 miles. Knock out all of the easiest stuff first and go from there.

What I don't get is our CP3 pump it set up very simular to a Duramax's. A duramax does not use a lift pump. The CP3 pulls it straight from the fuel tank. Why is it if our lift pump goes out it starves the CP3. Is it because the Lift Pump restricks the flow if it is not running?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts