Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was towing a 28ft travel trailer roughly 6,500 pounds on the interstate going about 70mph. When I would start to climb a hill I felt like I was lugging the motor with my foot to the floor struggling to maintain my speed. My rpms we’re jumping up to 2500-3000. The truck is an 07.5 6.7L 4x4 Auto with a H&S XRT pro tune. I thought it would tow much better than this. Any ideas what’s wrong or what I should do differently? Thanks!

·
Registered
218 Posts
How many miles on it? Did you buy it recently or have it for a while? I just went through a similar scenario recently and it ended up being my trans was losing overdrive.

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Mega Cab SLT - DPF & EGR Delete H&S Mini Maxx w/ Trans Unlock running Performance Tune - Nixon Transmission Entry Level 550 hp Dual Disc Low Stall Converter Billet Valve Body High Pressure Pump - 295/70/R17 MT's on stock alloys 314,500

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles on it? Did you buy it recently or have it for a while? I just went through a similar scenario recently and it ended up being my trans was losing overdrive.

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Mega Cab SLT - DPF & EGR Delete H&S Mini Maxx w/ Trans Unlock running Performance Tune - Nixon Transmission Entry Level 550 hp Dual Disc Low Stall Converter Billet Valve Body High Pressure Pump - 295/70/R17 MT's on stock alloys 314,500
it has 167.000 miles on it I’ve only had it a few months but was told the transmission was built by full pull diesel performance and was excellent for towing.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Do you have trans tuning with H&S? Perhaps it needs its line pressure bumped up to hold gears better and if you have a built tranny it may be capable of that if your tuner is unlocked for overdrive tuning.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
What trans temps are you seeing? Where are you reading them from, Pan, ecu, hotline?

Are you downshifting property before you pull the grade? OD clutches are the weakest set. You shouldn’t be towing a load up a hill in 6th ever, 5th as little as possible.

Btw, that truck will tow like a boss if it’s in good working order. 6500 is nothing, I pulled my 11k (at the scales) 5th wheel 70mph up grades without issues. There’s a good chance the tune is to high and it’s slipping the trans with the added HP, or the trans is going out from the extra HP or not using the gears right. I would suggest backing it off to stock hp for now while you figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
218 Posts
What trans temps are you seeing? Where are you reading them from, Pan, ecu, hotline?

Are you downshifting property before you pull the grade? OD clutches are the weakest set. You shouldn’t be towing a load up a hill in 6th ever, 5th as little as possible.

Btw, that truck will tow like a boss if it’s in good working order. 6500 is nothing, I pulled my 11k (at the scales) 5th wheel 70mph up grades without issues. There’s a good chance the tune is to high and it’s slipping the trans with the added HP, or the trans is going out from the extra HP or not using the gears right. I would suggest backing it off to stock hp for now while you figure it out.

Exactly what he said

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

thanks for the advice!
I don’t have a trans temp gauge so I’m not sure what it was running. The truck is automatic and it was in tow haul mode so I thought it would not be going into sixth gear but after hearing all this I was wrong. I can down shift on the column so as I approach a hill should I be downshifting into 5th? Or maybe just remove the tune?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Can your tuner read them? My h&s mini maxx has guage options up to 5

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can your tuner read them? My h&s mini maxx has guage options up to 5

No I don’t have the display screen

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
thanks for the advice!
I don’t have a trans temp gauge so I’m not sure what it was running. The truck is automatic and it was in tow haul mode so I thought it would not be going into sixth gear but after hearing all this I was wrong. I can down shift on the column so as I approach a hill should I be downshifting into 5th? Or maybe just remove the tune?
Yea, generally you are supposed to use the shifter to keep the RPM up in the ideal towing range,1900-2300 or so. Ideally, you downshift BEFORE getting into grades. Bring the RPMs up before mashing the throttle for the grade. It becomes second nature pretty quickly. This is good for the engine and trans. Should talk about this in the manual somewhere.

For your tune, do you know what tune is on it now? what settings are picked? Assuming you don't, I think the safest plan is to use the tuner to apply a stock, or very mild (<40hp) tune. You don't say if you deleted or not if you are deleted then you will need to leave some tune on the truck, even a "stock" with delete tune will work. If you have all the emissions stuff still you can completely unload the tune for a real stock struck.

I would want to make sure I was in a good place before doing anything else. Get the HP down, get an understanding of what others mods were done, check the fluid levels, check the trans fluid quality (color and smell if anything). Learn to shift it right when towing, confirm its holding gears (not slipping) unloaded, then take her out and see how she does on a grade.

It's highly possible you just have a higher HP and timing tune installed that is more than you trans can handle. A lot of guys that don't tow run these tunes for better MPG and fun factor, but you need to be close to stock when towing unless you have some serious money in the truck's hard parts. Lower the tune and hopefully, the trans isn't trashed already.

EDIT: Also if you can get a trans temp reading on the XRT PRo, that would be good. The temp reading varies a bit based on where the sensor is. I always read mine from the hotline out of the trans so I know what the temps should look like there. I can see that the higher tune makes it run hotter than lower tunes, and It shows the cooling effects of lockup real good there. But trans temp will tell you a lot. You just need to establish a baseline of what is "normal" for the sensor location and that's harder on a new truck you don't know. A ISSPRO EV2 from Genos comes with a clip that clips the sensor to the hotline, makes it super easy. combined with a SRT10 pillar makes it sexy :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts