Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been discussed already but I'm going to bring it up again. I've seen other threads talking about this, but not clear which one. After reading the EGR Removal thread from Cowboy, it's time to do something.

OK Here's the 64 Dollar Question.

Which performance box is the best one and best bang for the buck? What results have you had with MPG?

I've gotta do something with this $48,000 Flower Pot I have sitting in front of the house.:steam::steam::steam::steam:

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
DPF delete is gonna be the best all around. If you have patience and wait for the code free it will require no programmer to clear codes. This should also net you a 2-3 MPG gain plus less hassles with running the truck.

Edge Juice with Attitude - Good power, MPG gain maybe 2 MPG depending on driving. With DPF in place it will cause more regens, lessening the gains.

MP-8 - Most see 2-4 MPG increase, same as edge, with DPF more regens if running it hard.

BD PMT - seems to have good potential but it lays the smoke on, so i would assume it would cause more regens as well.

Superchips - Some see 2-4 MPG increase as well, also not good on DPF if you run it hard.

So to get the max potential out of any of the Programmers the DPF should be removed. That should be the first step to increasing the Mileage and Longevity of the engine. Maybe some others will chime in and add more info.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cowboy. . .Again

Now if you asked me about an old Mopar car or gas job, grab a box and sit down! :lol3: My expertise went stale with the advent of the 24 Valve. As a kid, I used to rebuild John Deere's in the field, now I can't identify the injector pump.

It sounds like the MP-8 is the best bang for the buck over all though

What is the definition of DBF?

***Goes to find his bottle of Geritol***

·
5,059 Posts
Diesel Particulate Filter is what it stands for. It is combined with a NOx filter and a Catalytic Converter. All part of the exhaust treatment setup. It collects the particulate matter (soot) in the filter. During Regen the exhaust is heated up and it burns the soot out. Its a lot more complicated then that, but gives you an idea.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
OK I understood the system, just not the abreviation term for it.

When you get down to it though, it's all J-U-N-K

All these new systems are going to make the Cummins a Come-apart

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Moved to third gen performance parts.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far I have learned the Edge has the DPF Fooler Box. But I liked the MP8 features. (And the Price ofcoarse)

I'm missing something here. I can't seem to find any in depth information on the MP8. Does that fool the DPF as well? Does it clear the codes?

·
5,059 Posts
The edge does not contain the fooler box. That comes with the DPF delete. What the edge does is clear the soft codes at startup that the fooler box causes.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ruf
Make up yer mind! :lol3:

Cowboy
That's what wasn't clear. The DPF is separate all together. Now it's starting to click.

I'll have to apologize. I'm a bit dense with all this new stuff. Getting performance and MPG isn't as simple as bumping the timing on the injector pump anymore. Well you know what I mean

·
5,059 Posts
:thumbsup

Good thing its finally coming together.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts