Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned 2 Dodges now with the Cummins, a 98.5 and an 04.5. I will be looking for a new truck sometime in the next year and I am not sure wether to get the 07.5 and up dodge or chev? I would be looking at a 3/4 ton gmc sierra SLT or a 3/4 ton ram laramie. Seems to me that the SLT's come a little more loaded than the laramie's. I tow rarely, so I would be buying mainly for fuel mileage, comfort, and longevity. Let me know what you guys think especially if you have owned both.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I have an 08 6.7L Dodge Mega cab with the 6spd auto and has 4 wheel drive. Mileage last year was 11 to 13 MPG avg with 80/20 city highway combination. This was before I added a smarty and the other changes in my sig. My mileage has improved to 13 to 16 MPG with 80/20 city highway. I have 3.73 gears with factory stock tires.
I do not believe any of the new trucks will have the fuel mileage that the older trucks had.
I had a 2001 chevy 3/4 ton gaser 4X4 and I look at the 2008 Chevy before my Dodge. I did not like the new style of the sheetmetal/bumpers. I also asked the sales men were is the engine? Nothing but hoses and tubes running across the engine. I think service would be extremely difficult with the Chevy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
All I know is that back in September when I bought my Dodge...all the GM dealers were awefull proud of their trucks.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I too am contemplating getting a 2011 GMC 3500, I hear 2010 duramax's are rare, something about retooling:confused013:. But I do own a 09 gasser and they have really nice interiors (but overall smaller cabs), very thin sheet metal walking on the bed rails the sheetmetal will warp:shock:, something I'm not too happy paying for. I've also heard that Duramax's get 9-14 mpg mixed, and fuel filters are a pain to change. Duramax's longevity (overhaul interval) may not be as good as a Cummins, but they are good engines. And I'm seriously considering buy one next year.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I certainly looked at the Chevy and would own one. I can put 40-50k a year on my vehicles traveling for work and I see a lot of Duramax engines being rebuilt around 200k. I purchased the Dodge soley for the Engine. The interior is my least favorite of the big 3. I prefered the Ford interior space and quality and the Allison on the Chevy.

If the Dodge didnt have the Cummins, I would have never considered it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The 07.5 and up are getting lower mpg that the 07 and down. You also said you would not be working the truck another good reason to stay away from 07.5. They have MANY emission problems just do a search. BUT buy what you want and meets your needs best. Good luck.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Certainly the new GMs are nice. The one problem I know of is the independent front suspension eating components (bushings, tie rods, etc). Also due to the IFS, often times the alignment gets messed up so the front tires might wear worse (my uncle's Silverado 3500 had this problem).
However, you can upgrade the IFS parts with Cognito parts and it should fix the problem.
And as with any of the new diesels, there are the problems associated with the DPF filter and EGR. It's pretty simple to delete the EGR and DPF on the GMs as well, so I think of it as minor. Cost varies.
The LMM Duramax is surprisingly compact for being a V8 of its displacement, but the room to work around isn't quite as much as the Cummins. Of course it could be worse and be like the 6.4 Powerstroke which has no room at all to work around.
The Allison transmission is still a fantastic transmission and probably still betters the Dodge 68RFE but once you add power the clutches will burn out. 60-100hp is said to be the safe zone for power adding. It has been observed that the shafts in the transmission are capable of handling extra power, so that shouldn't be a huge worry.

That all being said, the GM Duramaxes are quite good trucks, but the Dodge option is equally as good. Really it comes down to what features you want and what kind of driving/towing you will be doing.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Two years ago I traded in my 2004 qcsb dodge 2500 on a 2008 2500hd silverado. My dodge was an slt and the chevy was a fully loaded ltz. The chevy has a much better interior but the seats aren't very comfortable. That is why I am trading it in on a 2007.5 laramie megacab longbox this week. The chevy actually pulls very well, you just have to keep the revs around 2100. The big difference I noticed between the dodge and chevy is that the dodge's backend doesn't seem to get pushed around as much as the chevy, the dodge had a more "planted" feeling. My chevy is totally stock, with all emissions still in place, I have had no problems with it and still 14 city/19 highway. Overall the chevy doesn't really feel like a truck, it feels like a muscle car. In the end I am willing to give up the creature comforts of the chevy for a truck that feels like a "truck".

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually test drove an 09 chev 2500 with the duramax/allison and I noticed the same thing about the rear end, it seemed to hop around and sway a lot, felt very unstable. That is the only thing I have found that I really dont care for so far. I have yet to drive an 07.5-up dodge, what can you tell me about them compared to your 04.5?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I haven't spent much time in the megacab yet, just a test drive for about 40 miles. The laramie seats are much more comfortable than my slt seats of the 04. The biggest thing I noticed is that the lumbar support is better positioned on the laramie.

I purchased a weight distributing hitch for the chevy because I didn't like the swaying feeling. I never felt that way with the dodge, even with the 35" tires.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My buddy has an 08 Duramax and he seems to have more trouble with the DPF than even the Dodges do...

Personally, if I buy a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, I want a SOLID FRONT AXLE...no more of that IFS stuff for me.

·
Registered
383 Posts
There both good trucks but you couldnt give me another 6.7 equipped dodge. By far the worst truck I ever had. Sold it two weeks ago and bought a used 06 dmax with 170k on it. Its quiter and more solid then the dodge was at 20k. It really comes down to what every you like more and what you can get the best deal on.

Zak

·
Registered
918 Posts
I wouldn't trade my 6.7 for a tampax.

After I did the deletes and put the Smarty on it turned my truck into a beast, this truck now could yank concrete out of the ground.

·
Premium Member
6,236 Posts
I wouldn't trade my 6.7 for a tampax.

After I did the deletes and put the Smarty on it turned my truck into a beast, this truck now could yank concrete out of the ground.
you got any more pics of your truck? it looks good in the avitar

·
Registered
350 Posts
In response to Zaks post, you bought an 06 dmax...preemission. The 08+ dmax's are just as messed up as the 6.7 cummins...You could have bought a 5.9 Cummins and probably loved it.

But he is right, pick what you like the most. If you plan on towing, compare the towing capacitys/numbers. And finding a great deal always makes it better, whether its a dodge, ford, or chevy.

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
I researched a long time before buying. I certainly did not want to pay for new in diesel. 45 to 50K for a pick em up is way too much.

My decision was based on Ford not being able to settle on a motor for more than a few years. Something always wrong with whatever they picked. (That after having two absolutely bulletproof gassers in Expeditions). Chevy and GMC are just overpriced period. And they don't really have a heavy duty pickup. They have that boulevard ride for the ladies. I will be hauling a large travel trailer full time and don't need a slush and slide with powerglide sort of vehicle. My stepson has a Suburban and it rides nice but handles like crap.

That left the Dodge. After poking around I found it has better torque (just what I need for pulling) better longevity with the Cummins, they are pretty much bulletproof. And when I found one not even broken in with 66000 miles, for 21K I pounced on it.

I do not regret it one bit. This thing is a beast with the emissions crap repaired. I added anything that I thought would prolong the life and give me decent fuel economy. What a pleasure it is to drive. And my wife likes that it is quiet and rides very well indeed for a pickup.

A huge bonus for me is the Megacab, lots of inside storage since my lovely wife and I will only have the truck and the trailer for all our worldly possessions.

Buy the Dodge, find a good used one. My son bought an 06 mega with the 5.9 and he loves it as well as getting great mileage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There both good trucks but you couldnt give me another 6.7 equipped dodge. By far the worst truck I ever had. Sold it two weeks ago and bought a used 06 dmax with 170k on it. Its quiter and more solid then the dodge was at 20k. It really comes down to what every you like more and what you can get the best deal on.

Zak
shouldnt an 06 duramax be an LBZ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh ok, for some reason I thought that the LLY was only around from 04.5-05, my bad.

·
Registered
862 Posts
There are no 2010 duramaxes GM is retooling the plant in the upper midwest they are all 2009 motors in the 2010 trucks sooo

1 - 20 of 37 Posts