Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an '07 3500 w/5.9l Cummins and went to go change the fuel filter because I don't trust folks that say they've done any maintenance recently. I got a new fuel filter (Baldwin PF7977, before you ask, I don't want anyones opinion on the filter I choose to use, just let me do me. No offense. I researched them quite thoroughly and everything I could find said this or the Fleetguard 19800 was the right one.) Anyway, I get the filter cap off (yes, I have the right tool for the job, Lisle cap socket) replace the old filter and go to put it in and wouldn't you know it, the cap is about 1/8th in. too tall. I remove the filter from the cap to make sure there is nothing in there, there wasn't, so I tried again. Same result. I go the auto parts store, get a WIX filter just to check and same problem. I got a new filter cap, tried it with both filters, same result. I removed the rubber plug/gasket from the bottom of the filter and it got a little closer. Checked the fuel bowl, I can't feel anything that would be stopping the filter from going all the way on. Any ideas?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Jeff i use the Fleetguard FS19855 in my '06 (and in my previous '07) and have had no issues other than it is sometimes hard to get the cap down far enough for the threads to catch. I found if i coat the small opening in the end of the filter with diesel fuel to "lube" it up it makes it easier to install.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It turns out that whoever had this before me probably never changed the filter. What I found was the bottom cap of the filter had come off and was still sitting in there. It being the first time I changed it, I didn't realize the interior of the bowl with silver and not black, my mistake. Once I got the bottom cap out the filter went in just fine.

·
Trying to learn
7,808 Posts
Thanks for posting the fix.
Just putting it out there, this can also happen on the oil filter when the gasket sticks to the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem. I personally dislike it when people do these things: 1) Have a problem, find a fix and don't post it, and 2) Hi-jack a thread by going off on a tangent or adding to a tangent that someone else started that doesn't address the original issue (see any thread regarding filters and you'll know what I mean). Now Scarbogarage had a good reply. He ( I assume you're a male) stated that the filter he uses never really causes an issue that can't be fixed easily. I can't tell you how many threads I followed only to have it deteriorate into a discussion of filter make, micron size, aftermarket changes nobody asked for and other stuff that added nothing of value to the original posters search for a remedy. Just like you say, I'm here to learn and if I can teach something I've learned well, even better.

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I have personally never seen the bottom of a fuel filter come off , aparently sheared off all the paper , leaving the plastic ring at the bottom of the fuel bowl. . IF i understood what happened properly .
That must have taken some real effort by the PO.

I would be slightly worried about debris n shards that would have passed to the crossover tubes ect durring and after this . But not a whole lot one could do about it now .

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I can't tell you how many threads I followed only to have it deteriorate into a discussion of filter make, micron size, aftermarket changes nobody asked for and other stuff that added nothing of value to the original posters search for a remedy. Just like you say, I'm here to learn and if I can teach something I've learned well, even better.
On the other end of that, I can't tell you how many people find out about products/info they didn't know because of that.

If someone goes to install the aFe 3 micron filter that doesn't do water separation, but they had only asked the question you did, should we not tell them they are putting in a subpar filter for the application?

·
Trying to learn
7,808 Posts
On the other end of that, I can't tell you how many people find out about products/info they didn't know because of that.
If someone goes to install the aFe 3 micron filter that doesn't do water separation, but they had only asked the question you did, should we not tell them they are putting in a subpar filter for the application?
That is an added value connection that I will mention/suggest also.
But I do agree about getting too far sidetracked, I always preferred a direct connection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts