Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 with the 5.9 with 11k on the eng, I would like some input from Y'all about what mod's I should look at adding? Now all I'm looking for is a little more TQ to help pull a 10k travel trailer and better mileage. Because this is my daily driver, and I'm not looking to void the warrenty from Dodge/Cummins just yet, so please keep it simple, I'm not looking to blow all back smoke just yet. :confused:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Smarty Jr is a good start. I'm unsure about the warranty thing. I haven't had any issues as yet (knock on wood). It gives more power for pulling as well as a slight increase in mileage. At least I didnt' lose any mileage with it. Just stay off the skinny pedal!! :peelout

·
Registered
434 Posts
intake and exhaust. Stay away from K&N. I ditched both the day i bough my truck, and my warranty is still good. Picked up around 2 mpg's as well.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Smartys will not leave a footprint, therefore won't void warranty. I'd get Smarty Sr. and just set it low.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Smartys will not leave a footprint, therefore won't void warranty. I'd get Smarty Sr. and just set it low.
a dry fileter CAI, a good exhaust with a free flow muffler, and a smarty..not the jr.

the benefits of the SR make it a better choice but just keep it set low:thumbsup

·
Registered
634 Posts
All depends on your dealer. Some dealers will void for an intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feed back, and the time you took to help me in my decision. I figured the exhaust, and cold air intake, but was not sure about the programmer. I also got some feedback that it would also reprogram my speedometer due to the bigger tires.

·
Where's my sparkplugs????
1,046 Posts
Exhuast, don't touch the cat. Consult your dealer before you change out the intake (or change it back to stock before you bring it in for warranty work). You could always put on a module, they don't touch your PCM. As far as correcting your speedo some dealers will do it for free some won't, I'd check on that as well. if you're gonna go the programmer route, grab a Smarty Jr. I have a 07 5.9 myself w/ 14k and thought I use a Diablosport/Puck stack and the power is awesome, I'm gona grab a Smarty just because I hear a lot of good things about it and it's har but not impossible for the dealer to detect.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I put the programmer on, do I need to set it back to stock, and then remove before I take it to the dealer?

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
just get a smarty and like stated above dont take the cat off. build your own intake it wont make a big difference really unless you want to spend the money

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
If I put the programmer on, do I need to set it back to stock, and then remove before I take it to the dealer?
Yes, because if they flash the ECM, the programmer will be useless, I think. Better safe than sorry. Also be aware that certain programmers erase the key-on counter, that's a tattle tell a programmer was installed.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Yes, because if they flash the ECM, the programmer will be useless, I think. Better safe than sorry. Also be aware that certain programmers erase the key-on counter, that's a tattle tell a programmer was installed.
Smarty retains the key count. I've run many updates and tunes through mine with zero influence on key count.

·
Where's my sparkplugs????
1,046 Posts
Definitely yes, they can see the programmer if it's loaded. What makes the Smarty undectable is when you unload it and like mentioned above they may update you PCM when you bring it in for any warranty work and your programmer will be garbage. Mine fixed the key count issue but there's other fields that they can check like fuel consumption and a few others. Any programmer is dectectable as long as the tech. knows what to look for (which isn't too many).

·
Registered
69 Posts
why get the smarty over the Jr. i thought about getting it so i could have room to play after my warranty went out. id like to see the most gain in mileage but the power is always wanted. what about the stock auto will the smarty or the Jr. play the best with it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The Smarty will give you more room to expand your need for power. For some of us, we have no need for more power than the Jr. will provide. Good enough for me.

You can always buy the original Smarty and leave it on the lower levels if you decide to go that way. If down the road you decide to build your tranny etc, then you have the option of pouring more power to your truck.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Moved to third gen performance parts..

·
World Champs!!!
24,801 Posts
I have no experience with Smarty Jr. but love my Smarty. I only recommended Jr. because if its anything like Smarty, then its a great problem free programmer that has possibly the best customer service out there. The real reason I said Jr. was because, I can almost guarantee, you may have Smarty set low for awhile, but sooner or later youll put it on 9 and start playing with the adjustable things and sooner than later, youll cook your stock tranny and be lookin for a new one.

I had mine set on 3 for about an hour after I got it, and like you was worried about my stock tranny. After that hour I had it on 9 and its been there since.

I will say this, regardless which way you go, a TC/VB upgrade will make a night and day difference in how your truck drives...Ill never have a stock automatic again.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The only downside to the smarty is that it will blow some good smoke,mine smokes pretty bad on 70hp. Otherwise I have been happy with it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts