Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 2500 that has some tired headlights. Where I live, there are no city lights and no street lights. Pure darkness and its swallowing up the factory light. Looking to switch over to a projector style headlight with HID's. Anyone have a projector style headlight they can recommend?

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
You'll have to build them your self or have someone build them for you. The Retro shop specializes in ram retrofits.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
You'll have to build them your self or have someone build them for you. The Retro shop specializes in ram retrofits.
Yes, one of the above ^^^ & you're done :thumbsup:

·
Registered
522 Posts

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Have you tried LED bulbs in the current housings you have? Relatively speaking they are much more cost effective and throw off ALOT of light.
Throw off a lot of light in the wrong places. You don't want light just thrown around all willy nilly. You want a controlled beam pattern.

·
Mike @ Dude's Diesel Performance
245 Posts
When I installed mine I had to adjust beam down a bit. Reality is any headlight/light housing needs to be aimed correctly or it will go into oncoming traffic.

With your halogen bulbs pull about 4 feet from a wall at night and make a mark by tire- then make a mark where the top line of your light is on the wall. Once new bulbs are installed pull to same spot and check your light output

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
2k on headlights is a bit nuts, a lot cheaper if you build /retro-fit them yourself :thumbsup: but it sure isn't just a 1 hour job either.

....... Having said that, there is no comparison between 'stock' vs. a 'retro-fit' set up in performance/output.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
I may have to go this route. I cannot bring myself to spend almost 2k on headlights
You can do it your self for under $200. I think it's around $600 for a built set from the retro shop.

If a retrofit is something you'd really like, i'll do the labor for free, you just gotta buy the parts and pay shipping.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
When I installed mine I had to adjust beam down a bit. Reality is any headlight/light housing needs to be aimed correctly or it will go into oncoming traffic.

With your halogen bulbs pull about 4 feet from a wall at night and make a mark by tire- then make a mark where the top line of your light is on the wall. Once new bulbs are installed pull to same spot and check your light output
This is incorrect information. Adjusting your housings does not make up for putting the incorrect bulb in your housing. Yes you can aim them down. But by the time you aim them low enough you have so much foreground and/or lack of distance you're worse off then leaving the correct bulbs in your housings.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
It's over a grand. I talked to them. I can't spend that on lights. It's just crazy to me.
Maybe i was looking at something else. I don't know if you saw my last post i edited, but i can build you a set.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I may have to go this route. I cannot bring myself to spend almost 2k on headlights
You can do it your self for under $200. I think it's around $600 for a built set from the retro shop.

If a retrofit is something you'd really like, i'll do the labor for free, you just gotta buy the parts and pay shipping.
Shoot me an email and let's talk. [email protected]

·
Registered
4,882 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Man, those are slick Grunt! Several years ago i installed some LEDs in my OEM housings. They worked great, but i felt bad cause i was blinding oncoming traffic. Eventually i got pulled over by a state trooper who told me i had an illegal setup and needed to change the housings, if i wanted to keep the LEDS. Yeah, got a ticket too. I just stuck my original bulbs back in. My lenses are really faded now. I need to do something with them. Do you have the issue of blinding traffic?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts