Cummins Diesel Forum banner

06 Valve Adjustment

4K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  justinj 
#1 ·
i Know The Specs I Just Would Like To Know How To Find Top Dead Center On The Cr Motors On The Vp Trucks Id Use The Ip Gear To Find. And Any One Have A Link To Pics Of The Valves That Would Be GREAT

#2 ·
if both intake and exhaust valves are closed you just found it.

thats the easiest way I know

#21 ·
I've heard of this too.
So it is what I did.
Make sure it's on #1 fore front cylinder.

I set all that felt loose and were closed.
Can't miss. Do it cold and achieve a nice drag on the feeler guage.

Engine will run great!

Have fun with #6, bit of a reach.:w:

#11 ·
? for CTDFan5.9 ... off topic

CTDfan, I have this procedure also as part of the manual I downloaded but how do I extract it. I just use Adobe Reader to view it and seems I can't extract files through that ... is there a free program that allows you to save pdf files as attachments from within Adobe do you know. How did you save that portion of the manual as an attachment? thanks

#16 ·
My 2006 manual shows different specs for the EXHAUST limits.

VALVE LASH LIMIT CHART

INTAKE......................./........................EXHAUST
0.152 mm ( 0.006 in.) MIN. / 0.533 mm (0.021 in.) MIN.
0.381 mm (0.015 in.) MAX. / 0.863 mm (0.034 in.) MAX.

I wish I could figure out how to extract these pfd files as an attachment ... there's a ton more detail including pics in the manual that might be helpful to some ... like myself. But I can't find a way to do it. :hateit:

#18 ·
justinj, what year is your manual ?

Mine is 2006.

Here is pic of my engine plate:

You're right, you wouldn't use the manual for setting the lash ... those numbers would be used to make sure they were within the allowable tolerance and even required resetting. I guess one should make sure they are using the proper year manual for checking the tolerance. If they need restting then definitely use the specs on your valve cover plate.

Just curious ... what are the specs on your engine plate ... any difference with yours being an '04?

#25 ·
sorry it took me so long to reply....been off on vaca for the long weekend
mine is for the 04......but it should be the same through 05 though. and the procedure should be the same on the 5.9's through 07, just different tolerances....that is why I said to go by the engine plane

and mine is .010/.020

#22 ·
I know its a 2nd Gen write up but once again it will work as long as you use you measurements...:w:

Valve Adjustment

#24 ·
well, I tried every possible way I could think of to extract the pdf file as an attachment from within Adobe Reader 8 but to no avail. I can only send the whole manual and it's pretty huge (just under 200 mb) so that won't work. Even copying to Word makes a mess ... I guess you have to spend more money on software ... so here is a screen capture of this particular part of the 2006 manual ... hope it helps clear things up for someone. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.