Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got an '06 2500 LB. CPA says if I'm going to buy a new truck, 2020 is the year to do it, but I can't bring myself to do it. 1000 torques! hells yeah! Everything else? I just can't get excited about it. I've got 75k on my truck, and just had to rebuild my 48RE. I drive a lot of hills, high speed, and low speed on the road, and low speed/4LO off road steep hills.

When I have 15k behind the truck, its always hunting for the right gear, and needs more balls IMO. I could regear it, and put some 4.10s in it, and maybe I could even put a manual in it for more gears?

Or I could sell it for literally more than I paid for it brand new in 2006, and buy a brand new fancy 1000 torques truck. Other than the desire to get some more grunt on the hills, I don't feel the need for a new truck. I could afford to keep both, but I don't need two trucks, and I already put so few miles on it, it would border on neglect to own both. I live in CA, so will never delete, but having to fill my truck with DEF would definitely grate on me...

If you went from an "in demand" last-of-the-5.9's to a new truck, did you regret it? or never look back?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I was in a similar position back in 2014 - sell my 07 5.9 with 130k or keep it. I decided to sell but I had twice as many miles as you in half the the amount of time compared to you. I would agree about he pulling power and I blame the 48RE. If I remember right the factory tuning only locks the torque converter in 3rd and 4th. Everything about these trucks has been greatly improved since your 06 - power, handling, steering, comfort, technology etc. I don't regret my decision to upgrade at all. I miss the sound of my 5.9 but thats it. I hate that you just spent money to repair the 48RE. I was going to suggest an Allison swap or a manual conversion if you like manuals.

I've got 118k on my 14 which is slowing down thanks to getting a Mustang as my daily. I find myself with a similar decision. I'm a little worried about the CP4 injection pump issues on the new trucks. Hopefully, the problems are a little amplified since this is a forum for discussing issues. If I were you, I would consider looking for a used 2014-18. These trucks are a little more proven than the revised 6.7 released in 2019. The downside is they are bringing a premium right now due to COVID and other factors.

By the way, I'm a CPA. Assuming your income is the same in 2021, it may be better to have a deduction in the future since tax rates are so low right now. No matter who wins the election next month, tax rates are going to have to increase in the future. Expenses are always worth more in years when taxes are higher! I'll get off my tax soapbox now...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Looks like you are in the equipment business. A 179 deduction is a 179 deduction... buy another excavator or piece of equipment if you need it.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Looks like you are in the equipment business. A 179 deduction is a 179 deduction... buy another excavator or piece of equipment if you need it.
I second this. Pick up more equipment. Or attachments.

Or spend some coin and upgrade the 5.9. I have a 16’ and love the power but if your not deleting and not using the truck a whole bunch, make that one more powerful.

·
Sasquatch
3,693 Posts
The biggest advantage of the newer trucks is that you'll notice that you don't feel as worn out after a longer trip. If you go with a 2020, get one with a newer build date as it'll likely have the updated CP4.

DEF isn't annoying, but you'll want to fill at truck stops and probably avoid filling all the way up if you don't drive frequently. The only annoying thing is the filter changes, they're pricey, need to be done frequently, and you'll want to buy Fleeguard or Mopar.

Also, if you have a CDL, the 3500 with the Aisin is a great choice. If you don't have a CDL, you might want to stick with the 2500 since your GVWR on the 3500 plus your trailer will likely put you in CDL territory.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
The biggest advantage of the newer trucks is that you'll notice that you don't feel as worn out after a longer trip. If you go with a 2020, get one with a newer build date as it'll likely have the updated CP4.

DEF isn't annoying, but you'll want to fill at truck stops and probably avoid filling all the way up if you don't drive frequently. The only annoying thing is the filter changes, they're pricey, need to be done frequently, and you'll want to buy Fleeguard or Mopar.

Also, if you have a CDL, the 3500 with the Aisin is a great choice. If you don't have a CDL, you might want to stick with the 2500 since your GVWR on the 3500 plus your trailer will likely put you in CDL territory.
I will say filter changes are stupid easy though.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
If you want complex comfort with a potential grenade called the CP4, buy a 2020.

If you want no emissions and simplicity, keep the 2006.

I have experience with both...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes just cost me $224 cad taxes in for the 2. I try purchase them on sale at shop cummins.ca. Last time I think it was around $150.
Checked them (Cummins) a week or so ago - dang near the same price as the dealer. 🙁

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Well, I go through the same gyrations and I have almost 3x the miles on our 07 and don't drive it much anymore. I've had 4th Gens and the difference is great. Still alot of love for the 3rd Gen. And I'm not gonna jump until there's a true 5th gen with 8 speeds and a big fuel tank.
In your case, you obviously don't use the truck hardly at all (at an average of 5000miles per year), so unless your usage or needs change, it's wasted money. Using the "alure" of a tax deduction to justify a new purchase is no more than a poor financial choice (in your situation). Totally different scenario if you are in NEED of a new whatever (truck, equipment, television, etc). If you are claiming the truck as a deduction, you will actually get a decent ongoing deduction for depreciation on a new rig vs your old one, as mileage deduction won't add up to squat at your miles/year.

There are only 2 reasons I would get a new truck with what I know based on your info given.
1. You "want" a new truck. Totally valid reason. But not for the "1000 torques", lol. That's a cheap tune and a set of injectors on your current rig, AND it would be more responsive than a new truck. No nannys holding it back.
2. You can't stand the 48RE. I wouldn't walk across the street to p!ss on a 4speed Cummins Ram truck if it was on fire and I was trying to help my best friend not lose his truck. Because I'd be doing him a bigger favor by allowing him to collect the insurance settlement! You have a great truck with an absolute piece of steaming garbage for a transmission, if you tow heavy, by the standards for pickup trucks since about 2001.

4 options.
1. Ditch it for the new truck, maybe you can even slap that nice hauler bed on a new one?
2. Take your "rebuilt" 48re and have it built to handle enough power that the lack of gears becomes a non issue.
3. Get semi creative (although it never usually works out financially to completely tear apart an OE setup and change it) and drop a 6 speed manual in it.
4. Sell your truck for top dollar and buy a similar low mile rig with a 6 speed for about even money.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
The biggest advantage of the newer trucks is that you'll notice that you don't feel as worn out after a longer trip.
Not really a huge consideration for a guy who doesn't even go through 1 oil change interval a year and guessing a dump trailer and mini exc aren't making alot of "road trips."
However I do agree with you. Night n day difference between a 3rd Gen and a new truck when your @ss is in the seat for hours on end. Creature comforts are nice!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
IMO, if the 48re transmission is the only real complaint, then you should just allison swap it... but I am biased to that of course haha.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you sorta, but my boat is leaking and rotting away LOL. Curious to read all the feedback.
I'm at 245K miles on my '07 5.9L, bedsides are rusted through, and I've lost a cab corner and rockers. Injectors are hazing out the exhaust, and I have pretty good blowby.

I have a lot of reading to do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts