Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, currently replacing my '06, 5.9's injectors with OEM Bosch after 180k miles. Big thanks to the threads here on the topic, been through them all a few times, fantastic data here. And glad to be a [nooby] part of this forum. (Just got this/my first diesel last year, I'm smitten)

...but, this freakin' Safety Plate behind #6 w/13mm bolts is quite a pain. What do the gurus have for tricks here?!

I can get a socket on it from the top, but not enough leverage to flip the driver, also can reach from the bottom with extensions & impact but seems like the angle is too steep to get the universal to turn..

Custom tool time? Not opposed to that! Currently deep in thought with PB blaster, angle grinders and welder at the disposal. Hm.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was hoping not.. but my crows foot doesn't fit on to remove the crossover hold down and/or torque her back up (bracket blocks socket also..). Maybe need a 12 pt 24mm wrench and just get her "Guten-tight" (German torque spec) on reinstall.. -_-

·
Registered
2007 Ram 3500 5.9, mostly stock
47 Posts
I think i used a straight wrench and u only need to loosen the bolts and it will rotate out of the way iirc, someone correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
567 Posts
I didnt remove the plate for the injector or the tubes or lines. Doesnt need to be.

As far as the lines, i used stubby and regular wrenches.

For the hold down nut, socket and ratchet (also a wrench for the other ones).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Was able to work the right socket/universal combo in on #6 crossover hold down and not have to mess with the plate, winnn. Plate stays tight for now, 'bout to pull some injectors.

The documentation does suggest loosening the safety plate, assuming for ease of access, which seems ironic as far as making things easier based on how those bolts are situated...

Also nice the crossovers pulled out with finger pressure and I didn't have to wait for the removal tool to arrive ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And since I'm allowed to hijack my own thread, quick Q while I'm in disassembly mode. Got 2 rocker bridges installed with the bump toward the inside/driver side, #3 and 6. They ain't exactly symmetrical.. Assuming someone has been in this motor prior.. Haven't seen anything in the guides about rocker bridge install orientation.?

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Furthermore, only 2 intake bridges had bumps to the outside/passenger side. #1 and 4 :unsure:

·
Registered
567 Posts
They are supposed to be on (the bunp) the pass side but ive had them every which way and it doesnt seem to matter.

Ive never needed the removal tool...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Roger that, and yea have had no symptoms of any valve issues.

Now to fab an injector puller :geek:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Amen my man! Found out these were Diesel Logic injectors/remans(?)... Will post further thoughts once we taste test the new Bosch OEMs. 180k on the truck.. Have had her for ~2k.

Unrelated, but I'm making cheeseburgers this evening. Actually, is related. Your **** makes me hungry, all day.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
I think i used a straight wrench and u only need to loosen the bolts and it will rotate out of the way iirc, someone correct me if im wrong
^^^^ This.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, everything was eventually removed fine without loosening the safety plate - so far appears that I'll have room for install as well. OEM new Bosch injectors en-route.

Yall use any thread lock on install? Only loctite I noticed appeared to be a dab of red on the intake/heater bolts. Haven't seen any suggested in the docs, but probably just paranoid since 4 of 12 of my injector hold down bolts were finger loose to remove -_-. All on the driver side under the exhaust rockers, hoping it was a prior owners laziness maybe bypassing the rocker removal. Or inappropriate torque procedure.

I love used stuff.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Little late to the party, but I’ll offer up what I did on the safety plate. Might make it easier for you to install.

I took the handle off my jack (long metal tube), rested it on the plate, and beat/bend it back a little with a sledge hammer. IMHO does no harm to be leaned back a bit.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I took the handle off my jack (long metal tube), rested it on the plate, and beat/bend it back a little with a sledge hammer. IMHO does no harm to be leaned back a bit.
Not something I would be opposed to! Will keep this idea in the arsenal, thanks :)

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT QCSB
196 Posts
What worked the best for me on that plate was a ratcheting wrench. Remember you just need to loosen the two bolts a little bit, the one hole has a slot so the plate can pivot out of the way. To me, it's not worth bending the plate as that is the only solid piece of metal standing between you in the cab and 20,000+ psi fuel spray if that line were to break, would not want to compromise that protection.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: brooklyn 12

·
Registered
567 Posts
What worked the best for me on that plate was a ratcheting wrench. Remember you just need to loosen the two bolts a little bit, the one hole has a slot so the plate can pivot out of the way. To me, it's not worth bending the plate as that is the only solid piece of metal standing between you in the cab and 20,000+ psi fuel spray if that line were to break, would not want to compromise that protection.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I had line 6 break and spray the firewall (cracked above the plate), didnt shoot through or anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Right, what if it breaks anywhere to the side of that ~2" plate....

At any rate, justttt got her fired up after install, all torqued, without working with the plate at all. Boom!

Just to add in the thread, symptoms were progressive hard starting especially when warm, P2146 for injector circuit issue, then only starter fluid would fire her later on even when cold. Replaced VC gasket, no change. Did not do a fuel return test but started receiving the wait to start light with 10 chimes (think it was 10, don't quote me) on the "highway" (what we have for highways in Alaska) for excessive fuel return. Had done the FCA test (unplugging) as well, fuel filter, tested batteries, etc no change.

Picked up the kit from InjectorsDirect for $2650, OEM Bosch new injectors, fuel lines, crossovers, VC gasket (had put a Felpro in prior, scrapped it). Called them to order, super professional and arrived with free shipping in 24 hours, which is nutz for Alaska. (Just waited 4 months for a rim for the wife's car 🤣).

Pig in sh*t right now!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts