Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 06 has 38k on it and the brakes have been looked at by the dealer twice.
The dealer says there is a lot of pad left
The brakes never made any noise until about 35k.
Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
325 Posts
i got the same problem with my 02 ive put new calipers on front and rear and numours amounts of differnt rotor pad combo and i cant get them to stop makin noise the only thing i have tryed to slotted rotors and thats my next step or upgrading to a bigger caliper rotor set up

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
What kind of noise are they making. What type of pads, have you felt the roters for any kind of groove or abrasions. Have you done any other work on the truck around the time the brakes started making noise. Check the cable adjustment on the parking brake. Especially if it has been driven with the parking brake set (by accident of course). Make sure the wheel bearings are well lubed, sometimes that causes noise that seems to come from the brakes, and check the torque on the wheel bearing nuts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
brakes

try to remove the caliper and pads then lube all the mating surfaces on the caliper and the slides for the pads with cerama lube its made by bendix most brake squeeks are caused by the pad vibrating on the caliper/bracket also caused by the finish on the rotor likr a record player skiping at the end

·
Registered
266 Posts
anti squeak spray ....do the back of the pads where they touch the caliper.....let the pads dry completely and then put back together....it also comes in a little tube(almost like smooth toothpaste). also, you might want to take some fine sandpaper and rough up(cross hatching) the disc surface a little bit. you could've built up a glazing on the rotors and if it does it more after the first few stops, then i'd look at the glazing thing. just don't go and surface/turn the rotors. you don't need to be losing that much meat on your brake rotors. I've pulled out my orbital sander before and buzzed the rotors on some of my other cars and cleared the problem.Another way is to get up to speed and really lay on the brakes all the way to stop. then do that a few more times in a row. you want to really heat things up and break the glazing. either way,...those fixes(attempts) at least won't cost anything much

1 - 5 of 5 Posts