Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to hook a fast idle on an 06 engine, without the truck. I have seen someone mention grounding the 22 pin, but does anyone know what #22 pin?

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
It's a PIN on the ECM. Its pretty easy to do, needs a $13 part from Cummins.

photos
instructions

Its a pretty easy thing to do. Took me 10 minutes on my rig, and 5 on my dads.

Courtesy of Dieselguy8599

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok that helps alot cause I saw there wasnt a pin in # 22 so that confused me.

Next issue, this is goin in a F550 rollback so I have to figure out how to enable the fast idle. What enables it on the Dodges? Is it just push the parking brake in and t comes on or is there something else involved?

·
Registered
6 Posts
To turn the high idle on on an 06, you just have to set the cruise control as if you were on the hiway for the desired rpms. I just turn the cruise control on, then hit set, then use the accel button on the steering wheel to ramp up the idle. I don't know how much value this has because you mentioned you don't have the truck. But I also know to enable pto's on the newer dodges you need to have the ebake on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok next question, doe anyone know hat the cruise control switches ohm out at? If I knewthat I can make this work.

·
Registered
253 Posts
ok first question is do u have manual or automatic trans. if you have an auto then just go to dodge and get them to engage the pto high idle or get a smarty, bullydog, or superchip.

if its a manual u have to get the little wire don't remember part # but its on here. my local dealership cut me the little pin up wire off a stock wiring harness that had been warrantied. the wire u have to get from a cummins dealer not dodge. same wire is used for a jake brake.

then unbolt plug b, closest to cab, with a torque bit. use a paperclip to knock out red plug in pin #22. plug short wire in the back of plug and rebolt plug b back in. extend short wire by 6" and put blue round plug for like to attach to battery. now ground little round plug, don't worry there r at least 2 small bolts already beeing used as grounds in the area.

then drive to dealership and tell them to engage pto high idle. if they say they can't cause its a manual tell them u installed the clutch bypass from dodge. or install smarty, bullydog, or superchip. when we installed my smarty, the high idle we couldn't get to engage till we had drove around and turned on and off 3 times then we tried and it worked. sorry so long hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya ok I have that, its getting a Smarty so the ecm things isnt an issue.

What I need now is the ohm specs for the cruise control switches, I am going to have to make my own switch box to turn it on being that I dont hav the rest of the Dodge truck with the engine. There is only one wire that feeds the ECM from the cruise switches but the ecm knows what to do cause each switch is a different ohm outputor resistance. If i could find that spec then I could make a switch box so they could not only have fast idle but have cruise control too....

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
What I have seen on custom transplants is the cruise control switches removed from the steering wheel and mounted in the dash..

·
Registered
256 Posts
03's and 04's have a high-idle?
yes on the steering wheel, if auto, if it doesn't then go to dodge and tell them to flash the computer so it does have it. doesn't cost anything. (atleast it didn't for me.)

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
03's and 04's have a high-idle?
Only the very very rare 03 has the option. If you have the old style cruise control buttons there is no option, and its still rare with the new style.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Only the very very rare 03 has the option. If you have the old style cruise control buttons there is no option, and its still rare with the new style.
dont wanna sound like a jackass (oops... too late:doh:) but how would i be able to tell which cruise control buttons i have? anybody got a pic i can compare mine too?

·
Registered
253 Posts
wut do u mean "the new style is rare." do u mean not engaged or wut. and i don't know y the old style wouldn't cause the 2nd gens have the 3 cylender idle so y couldn't u engage the high idle on the early 03. not saying your wrong just curious so i don't inform people wrong.

my early 04 i engaged it with my smarty. and my brother in laws 06 6spd we engaged with wire trick and smarty.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
wut do u mean "the new style is rare." do u mean not engaged or wut. and i don't know y the old style wouldn't cause the 2nd gens have the 3 cylender idle so y couldn't u engage the high idle on the early 03. not saying your wrong just curious so i don't inform people wrong.

my early 04 i engaged it with my smarty. and my brother in laws 06 6spd we engaged with wire trick and smarty.
The ECM doesn't have the provision on the 03's. Some late 03's have it, and all of those have the 04+ style cruise control buttons.

The 3cyl fast idle is strictly 2nd gen, and even the early 03's have the automatic fast idle, just not the user selected "PTO" fast idle.

All 04+ can have the user selected fast idle.

These cruise control buttons are the new style

·
Registered
45 Posts
User Selected High Idle

Just got my high idle working on my 05' Thanks for the info everyone!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts