Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone. I have an '06 cummins. i want to do something with the exhaust. i want to get a little better sound and mileage. i had thought about just deleting the muffler (but not change anything else). i had also thought about rolling out a hollow "muffler" and putting it up in there. but right now i don't have the time to make my own. i have also heard some people don't like the drone with that. any ideas on a fairly inexpensive muffler that will make the truck sound nice and maybe help the mileage? I would kind of like to just clamp in a muffler if possible. i guess i should add a note that i have an AFE intake, if that changes the sound part any.

·
Diesel Junkie
4,683 Posts
Keep the cat,cut off the muffler and put straight pipe in place of the muffler. It's cheap,sounds great and no drone....just a deeper sound under load.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anyone having issues with cops or inspections with no muffler?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
truevalue truck, any issues with warranty after putting the smarty in? and has it helped mileage? i have looked at the junior, which is what people said to use with my auto tranny

·
Diesel Junkie
4,683 Posts
A muffler delete won't be loud enough to get you into any trouble.
As for /smarty/warranty,I am blessed with a mod friendly dealer/service manager.If your going to stay stock on the tranny,then the Jr. would be the safest route for you.
Get some gauges or a monitor before you add any power upgrades...:thumbsup

·
Where's my sparkplugs????
1,046 Posts
hey everyone. I have an '06 cummins. i want to do something with the exhaust. i want to get a little better sound and mileage. i had thought about just deleting the muffler (but not change anything else). i had also thought about rolling out a hollow "muffler" and putting it up in there. but right now i don't have the time to make my own. i have also heard some people don't like the drone with that. any ideas on a fairly inexpensive muffler that will make the truck sound nice and maybe help the mileage? I would kind of like to just clamp in a muffler if possible. i guess i should add a note that i have an AFE intake, if that changes the sound part any.
I did a Muffler Delete on my 07 5.9 and left the cat and it sounds great and no drone at all. Just call around local muffler shops and make sure they have 4inch pipe and they should do it for around 50-60 bux. FYI it is ok to take the muffler off of a 3rd gen 5.9, just don't touch the Cat and the dealership can't do dookie..

·
Lifetime Premium Member
1,894 Posts
i agree with true value truck, my 04 didnt have a cat from the factory and i cut my muffler off 10 minutes after i got home from buying it, it sounds mean and no drone used to commute 75 miles a day in it... and youll prob get a mile or two better if you keep your foot out of it...

·
Registered
177 Posts
I looked under my truck to do this and it looks like I would have to bend the pipe to delete the muffler. How are you all doing it your self? Are you just putting in a straight piiece of pipe or having someone or have the means to bend one up?

·
Registered
451 Posts
i live in a county where i don't have to pass emissions. so taking teh cat off a good idea? i want low egts and mpg. rumor has it the cat is nothing but a huge honeycomb restricting alot of flow. or would just muffler delete be alright?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I personally love the sound of the aero 4040xl muffler over straight piping. muffler and adapting "S" pipe installed for a little over 200. Sounds awesome!

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
The cat on the 04.5+ is not very restrictive, its the muffler that is super restrictive.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
The cat is usually the most restrictive part of a exhaust system, very small honeycomb matrix.
Except in the case of the 325 5.9's, the muffler is much more restrictive... I believe the cat only costs 2-4 rwhp, not very bad...

Old cats were very restrictive, but todays cats are hi-flow from the factory.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I've seen the inside of a cat on an 05 sure didn't look very restrictive to me. You could easily see sunlight on the other side. :thumbsup

·
Registered
450 Posts
I ran the muffler delete and saw no mpg difference towing, interstate, or daily driving at all. I hand calculated every mile and tank no difference.

It was to loud for me, any semi hard excelerations was obnoxious and add towing weight forget about it.

I replaced my cat with an aero 4040xl and love it, the sound with normal driving wether towing, interstate, or daily is nice yet when you hop on it its not stock any more.

I saw a 200/250 degree drop in EGT with this over previous set up all around towing and everything. I again have seen no mpg improvement anywhere.

·
4,669 Posts
im still lookin for a good muffler that will not be loud, because i tow alot. I just want it to flow good. strait piped now,but i need to quiet it down

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Aero 4040XL.... its what I will add if my muffler delete gets too loud.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts