Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Dodge can finally get me in, I have been waiting for over 2 months to get my ecm reflashed. Going in today @ 10.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Good Luck
Let us know how it turns out

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Ecm is dead according to stealer-ship. They also said because its and 07 motor I should get a 07 computer, but the tipm has a different plug in 07. So what now?
Do I just get a new 06 ecm?

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
06-07 5.9 should be the same. 07.5 they went to the 6.7 which would be different

Reactions: utahtrapper

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Hoped in my truck just now for a quick smoke and cruise before bed.
The voltage gauge wouldn't show it charging any. Normally it steps up, then falls back down continuously unless it appears to be around 15v.
It crept upto 12v ish and would not move. So I tried the key in, push button, turn to run. Got
C
All in the same slot like above, have video link if it helps. Any ideas?

https://youtu.be/vvpiYW-0hKY

·
Mountain Man Customs
2,504 Posts
All CR's use the same cracked cap rods, you want to loose then in favor of the forged rods from the VP engine series.

ALL CR engines used cracked cap rods so the 06 rods are the typical junk.
Fine for what is my question, definitely NOT in any performance engine I would build. I have had these shops tell me the CR and 24V rods are the same, tell me the CR rods are forged, they are goo to 800 hp, 6.7's don't have HG problems, and the steam ports are extraneous equipment (all this while they 30 6.7 block in various stages of rebuild and 2 weeks out on work). They can spew that crap it isn't THEIR engine and they are not warrantying a performance build, it is total BS.

While the rod may hold 800 HP you had better have them magnfluxed and checked before using them and NEVER put too much boost or fuel into any cylinder. The iron powder rods have more tensile strength than forged, are cheaper to manufacture, and it ends there. You cannot balance them effective. there isn't enough material to do it, cannot resize and make them round again with boring them and using an over size bearing, they will NOT bend they break and window the block. A forged rod will bend and start vibrating so you know you hurt it but it won't window the block with no warning. Worst of all the weights vary so much ALL you can do is try to get the pistons that are up at the same time as close in weight as possible (maybe 10 grams apart). Example is the one in my shop now, 100 grams difference across all rods, 8-10 grams on pairs, pistons were under 3 grams different. Crank is 0 balance so we balanced rods to 1 gram and called it good across ALL 6 not just pairs. Finding some to balance a Cummins crank is like finding a local shop to do a fire ring. Plenty of them around here and none have the equipment large enough to handle the components.
You might find some of the early SO's with forged rods in them but all the later ones are cracked cap iron power. They have more tensile strength but much more brittle than a forged rod. Forged rod will bend enough to cause an obvious vibration to investigate, an iron powder rod will just break with no warning and usually windows the block.

Zero problems, it is the same engine in 5.9 version. A 6.7 will also fit with no issues but likely have to use the 5.9 injectors.
Its possible but not done. The types of forging and heat treating are what makes the rods. It is just a process to supposedly cut costs with less machining and supposedly better consistency in weights. In actual practice it is another throw away part as they cannot be resized and if they have been stressed they are done. The claim that weights are more consistent doesn't fly either, up to 100 grams or better difference in rod weights WILL cause vibrations. If you are lucky you get a set that are closer, if not you have built problems. The difference between the rod types and the ability to balance them is very noticeable.

A forged steel rod will bend and twist while not coming completely apart because it has better elasticity. The PM rods have more tensile strength before they deform but they will not bend, they break. Cummins gave up on the PM rods anyway, all th e newer engines have gone to a forged rod, probably for NVH reasons.

I can't help but stir this pot!

^^Original 03 HO engine. Windowed block on both sides, cap out one side, rod out the other. Fractured cap style rod is stronger in this regard, the cap and rod are stronger as a unit due to increased/multi-dimensional surface contact, the cap will not walk on the rod the way a flat machined surface can.

I have seen more bent Fractured cap style rods than broken, I have seen plenty of broken 12v style rods.

Fractured cap & forging are not mutually exclusive processes/traits.

·
Premium Member
15,210 Posts
The final word is still the engineering. All new Cummins engines are using the standard 2 piece forged rods instead of cracked cap. The reason for using cracked cap rods was cost,plain and simple. At the end of the day those types of rods have issues that simply cannot be resolved.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Fixed it, driver side battery cables crapped out, was at about 19volts to passenger side battery.... think I got lucky lol

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
So I thought it was a cp3 knock. But now I'm leaning towards 1 or more of the new injectors have problems.
Went to to start my truck yesterday after I delivered some parts, and while cranking it knocked 3 times really hard, and as it started a pile of white smoke came with.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Put pdd 15% injectors in it, would've gone with stock but there didn't have any. Runs like a top now. Also got 4 new rear rubbers put on today.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts