Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Can I drop in a 6.7? Do I need any extra controllers, or wiring stuff?
it is pretty easy. Pull your 5.9 out. Place it next to your new 6.7. Swap over your ecm, harness, exhaust manifold and turbo, take out your injectors and put 03-04 spray pattern tips on them, put it all together and put the engine back in.

This was when I just pulled out my 5.9 and put it next to my new 6.7
What if I get a 6.7 with ecm and harness.
Would it be direct drop in and work?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
No one in their right mind does an inframe on a parent bore 5.9 or 6.7 with extensive cylinder wall damage.
The cylinder wall in that video did no clean up with just a ball buster .Still has excessive blowby crankcase pressure after his tinkering. With bearings looking like that the crank has to be machined.

Still has the same garbage injectors in it that caused the first failures.

Waste of parts, will fail again soon, next time catastrophically.
I would have said go for the in-frame but sounds like your cylinders are going to require some machining...

https://youtu.be/x98GzSLjENU

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
NO, most likely that a later year harnass will not mate up all connectors and computers/sensors. Likely to get numerous ECM errors.
Use your 2006 harness and ECM.
New Bosch or BBI injectors or you'll be doing an engine replacement again soon

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
NO, most likely that a later year harnass will not mate up all connectors and computers/sensors. Likely to get numerous ECM errors.
Use your 2006 harness and ECM.
New Bosch or BBI injectors or you'll be doing an engine replacement again soon

Just curious, thank you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
All will depend on whether block, head and crank are rebuildable.
Good 3rd Gen 5.9 blocks and cranks are getting as rare as panties on one of Trump's wives or women in pubic and as expensive as all his attorneys/law firms paying off the girls and divorce bills.

What are your motor precision assembly skills?
Good local experience Cummins diesel engine machinist locally?

Machine shop sleeving of a 5.9 parent bore block gets real expensive real quick
Is the Trump bashing really necessary.
Not a damn thing to do with a diesel engine rebuild...…………..way off topic
GROW UP!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
CumNewb ""Should I be looking for a complete 6.7, or a longblock? Does it matter?""
Either, just as long as the running condition is good.

jeepy>

:laugh::surprise::x:wink2::grin2::spank:

Is the Trump bashing really necessary.
Not a damn thing to do with a diesel engine rebuild...…………..way off topic
GROW UP!
Daily drivers and the CAT
Views: 558
Posted By jeepvin
I can`t say as I blame you on your move to Idaho....

I can`t say as I blame you on your move to Idaho.
OREGON IS REALLY BEGINNING TO SUCK-thanks Katie...…………….

Oregon Roll Call
Views: 32,139
Posted By jeepvin
norcal-Welcome to southern Oregon--State of...

norcal-Welcome to southern Oregon--State of Jefferson X/X
good you made it outta Kommiefornia
You will like it here::thumbsup:

Oregon Roll Call
Views: 32,139
Posted By jeepvin
Howdy-Gold Hill is a neat town and has tamed...

Howdy-Gold Hill is a neat town and has tamed down a whole bunch over the past 30 years, used to be the WILD West.
There are not many jobs here in SW ore. since the LIBERAL s*^^%%$$%%^&&*& shut...

Soooooooooo Upset right now
Views: 12,562
Posted By jeepvin
bump-- Robert is this for real-Obama happens ...

bump--
Robert is this for real-Obama happens
How bout an UPDATE

·
Registered
515 Posts
Should I be looking for a complete 6.7, or a longblock? Does it matter?
That depends. If you plan on putting on aftermarket stuff, go long block. I am glad I went with the complete. You can use all the fuel rails and tubing, intake horn, radiator fan pulley...etc.

Having all that extra stuff makes life a lot easier when you are transferring stuff over. Sell what you don't use later.

·
Registered
515 Posts
if you can get a 2013 and newer, I would suggest it.

If you want to go this route, feel free to PM me and we can talk on the phone and Ill give you all the little things you need to be aware of.

It is a good swap and you will like the extra power for sure.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Will the 5.9 injector fit in a 6.7 head? Do I need a 5.9 head on the 6.7?
I'll pm you, get your info, and give you a ring when I get a engine.

·
Registered
515 Posts
if you get a 2013 and newer, yes it will fit. if you get an older one it is hit and miss but you can do some machining at home and make them fit.

Just use the 6.7 head. They have the steam port holes in them and the 5.9 does not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Transmission wise, if you don’t plan on being around 800+ don’t do the billet intermediate shaft. I’ve heard that stocks break around that power but when they break they make a clean snap, when the billet ones break they send splinters in your trans and can cause damage. So, with that said, you’d want billet flexplate (just go SFI approved), billet input and output, billet torque converter (I’m sure a single disk would be fine for upwards of 500 but a triple disk is a nice touch in my opinion of owning one), upgraded valve body and upgraded clutches. They make different strengths of billet shafts, so kinda pick and choose for what you see yourself using the rig for, towing and just getting on it from time to time? The basic billet would work, racing and boosted launches? Probably look into phatshafts. For converter, have it custom stalled for your pickup and your turbo. When I got my trans used before I had it rebuilt, the converter was stalled for a 75ish turbo so stall was around 2500 I think, way too doggy for a stocker, when I got it rebuilt the local shop to me (Ultimate Transmission) stalled it for 1400/1900 for a 64ish size turbo, it was perfect after that. Just have a reputable shop do it for you, not a basic side shop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not exactly the same, but I bought a long block for just under 5K installed for 5K in a marine application 1999 6BT 5.9M (m for marine, have an aluminum pan). I had nearly new turbo, exhaust manifold, balmar alternator; replaced all the hoses. Electrical was fine.

Outside the 10K, I had to replace the exhaust elbow, prop and thrust bearing, something that you don't need to consider.
I don't know what the pricing is for an 06 but you might what to check out long bock as an option. Seems like a truck might be less of a job since you don't need a haul out and all the other stuff entailed for a boat re-power.

I like the suggestion to go up in power with a used 6.7; it wasn't an option that I considered. my 99 is a 210; having more power would have been nice but not critical. Rather have a trolling valve for the zf transmission.

FYI, engine re-power because of the number 1 bearing cracking when the oil pump disintegrated and ran too long.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I'm definitely going to build it, I'll redo the whole thing from scratch. This truck has been sitting in a field for the past 2-3 years. I'm shooting for 500-700 anywhere inbetween there, I'm guessing 85%, 100s, and a 363/475 or s480 combo.
And build the tranny of course.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I do like the cow puncher on the front.. Wanna sell it??:l
LOL

21 - 40 of 94 Posts