Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some details on the workings of the AC unit for 06.

Is the compressor a variable displacement compressor?

If so what sensor changes the displacement and where is it located?

Do they watch high and low side pressure or temperature?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you having problems with the A/C? I've got an '06 that has had compressor issues since I bought it. Dealer keeps telling me it is fine, but the compressor won't stay running when the truck is first started. Doesn't cool as well as it should either in hot weather...

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
I need some details on the workings of the AC unit for 06.

Is the compressor a variable displacement compressor?

If so what sensor changes the displacement and where is it located?

Do they watch high and low side pressure or temperature?
I don't think the compressor is variable displacement. But I would be interested if there are some made for something...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dealer tells me the AC is fine and the reason I don't believe him is the AC in my older vehicles work MUCH better. The AC in my Dodge will cool after a while but not like I think it should. Since Dodge won't fix the AC that leaves it up to me.

The reason I thought the compressor might be variable is the high and low side pressures did not act like AC I am familiar with. Someone mentioned a variable displacement compressor but I could not verify that as Chrysler may have some kind of special valving in place. This is what I am trying to find out here.

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
The dealer tells me the AC is fine and the reason I don't believe him is the AC in my older vehicles work MUCH better. The AC in my Dodge will cool after a while but not like I think it should. Since Dodge won't fix the AC that leaves it up to me.

The reason I thought the compressor might be variable is the high and low side pressures did not act like AC I am familiar with. Someone mentioned a variable displacement compressor but I could not verify that as Chrysler may have some kind of special valving in place. This is what I am trying to find out here.
Maybe the difference is the 134 vs R12? The numbers you see are a little higher, however they still perform quite well.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The R-12 refrigerant was much better at cooling than the R-134a that is in the newer vehicles these days. They banned the use of R-12 in vehicles after 93' because the EPA believe that since the R-12 was chlorine based it was destroying the ozone layer. But the change in refrigerants really shouldnt affect the cooling capabilites that much.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My 06 will freeze you out quickly.
I did however have a loose conn to the fuse panel in my 06 work truck (gasser company owned) which made the comp come and go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts