Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
IMO the 5.9 is best. The 6.7 are packed with emission crap. Kills the mileage. But we are getting 18 mpg with our 08 and she has lots of power and no problems yet. But I still prefer my 5.9.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I Have The O7 5.9 Because I Drive Alot In Mexico And Their Diesel Is High Sulfer. No Problem For This Engine. With The 6.7 You Can Only Use The Low Sulfer Fuels Without Wiping Out The Cat. Converter.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I drove an 01 5.9 for a very long time (still have it). I just bought an 07 6.7 and I love it as well. Honestly I say just drive em both and flip a coin. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
The 6.7 hands down when they get the emissions worked out for high performance mods is going to be a beast compared to the 5.9....I guess it depends if you can wait for that and deal with a little less mileage for a while....but a lot better tranny...like they said flip a coin you can't go wrong with either one

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
why trouble yourself with all the emissions junk. is it worth 25hp and 40 ft.lb tq with worse fuel econemy? not in my books. adding a few hp is cheap and easy on a 5.9 and there is less to go wrong. trannys.... 1st gen with 300k and second gen with 300k, all stock with lots of towing miles and never had problems

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
why trouble yourself with all the emissions junk. is it worth 25hp and 40 ft.lb tq with worse fuel econemy? not in my books. adding a few hp is cheap and easy on a 5.9 and there is less to go wrong. trannys.... 1st gen with 300k and second gen with 300k, all stock with lots of towing miles and never had problems
I understand when the 6.7 gets over 50k the mileage jumps 3mpg+. Maybe those guys will come in here and tell what their experiences are.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
well to start with stock to stock the 6.7 is 2 sec quicker and to boot it has the 6 speed auto tran's with factory exhaust brake Drive one for your self and see how it feel's don't get me wrong 5.9 was and still is a awesome motor but big brother is here and we soon shall see how he run's .

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
well to start with stock to stock the 6.7 is 2 sec quicker and to boot it has the 6 speed auto tran's with factory exhaust brake Drive one for your self and see how it feel's don't get me wrong 5.9 was and still is a awesome motor but big brother is here and we soon shall see how he run's .
Well for me, the exhaust brake and the 6speed auto would make the poor fuel mileage a lot easier to deal with. I hear that extra top gear keeps the motor under 2000rpms even at 75mph. That's great for mileage. I would trade mine in on a 6.7 if I wasn't so damned upside down on the note.:CRY:

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I understand when the 6.7 gets over 50k the mileage jumps 3mpg+. Maybe those guys will come in here and tell what their experiences are.
i dont have one but i can say that is truely a myth...sort of like the 04.5s that get 24 mpg

·
Registered
147 Posts
Like I said in another thread, I don't like buying the first year of a new motor. I'd rather wait for them to get all the bugs worked out. I've never driven a 6.7, but it would be nice to have more stock power, exhaust brake and the extra gear. I guess it's more of a personal preference.

·
Banned
885 Posts
I have a 90, 99, and i just bought a 08 last night....guess what... The 6.7 is no comparison hands down as compared to the 99 with bd outlook and exhaust...not to mention if i leave the 08 running in the driveway...someone can pull away and i will not know about it...unless they floor it and burn up the tires on the way out...

But i am going to remove the exhaust and egr...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts