Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying an 06 3500 4x4 six speed dually with 82K miles and I was wondering if anyone had some advice on things to look for or ask about before purchasing. Is there anything that I need to look at or as ask if it has been replaced, corrected etc. Thank you for your time.
Matt

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
front end wear, clutch, blend door for the hvac (check by turning everything on high and make sure all vents are working), check under exhaust manifold for coolant leak (easy fix), couldn't hurt to have the injectors tested and well as blowby checked. other than that the normal stuff when looking at a used vehicle.

·
Heck if I know
3,761 Posts
check your #4 injector line they wear and blow, the new updated line has a blue bracket bushing.

U joints: ALL of them

Yes the orange/red coolan rubber hose that connects the engine to the firewall for the heat.

hmmmmmmm thats all I got

what are they askin for it??

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is good info guys, it is at a dealership and I plan to buy some kind of warranty with it so I will not be out much more than time if I have a break down. Quick question on the clutch and the blow-by and injectors, what is the best way to check those?

I am planning on driving out for around 24K

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
injector flow test and i believe they use a manometer to check blowby. make sure they have a good diesel tech or ask them if you can take it to a diesel shop.

·
West Virginia Chapter VP
840 Posts
I have the same truck and love mine with no major issue with it and I got mine for $26K with 48K miles with extended warranty.

Make sure they do the front end recall replacements. Turn everything on and off several times and do not baby it when test driving it.

If you do a programmer then just do a South Bend double clutch and be done with it.

Make them do a oil change and fuel filter so you know its done and you can keep track from then on.

If you change out the marker lights on top of the cab and the 3rd break light with Recon lights use silicone behind them they will leak. Plus hard wire the marker lights or they will sometimes come on and sometimes not.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you verifiy recall work with the VIN number? I am going to ask but I would like to be able to confirm what they are telling me. I agree on the oil and fuel filter change that is a good idea as well. I sold the 08 that is in my signature and I cant say as I miss or will ever own a 6.7 dodge again but I strayed when I sold it and bought a gasser that I now regret owning so this is my attempt at getting a good diesel truck while there are still a few left that are clean and moderate miles. I would like to think that this truck will get better mileage than the 10.5 mpg I was getting in my 08. Anyone have some positive mileage stories =)

·
Registered
975 Posts
mines not a quad or 4wd but i baught mine with 118k on it its got 144k on it and its done good just like above have done the coolant hose replace and the injector line four replace yours having 82k it wasn't drivin real hard I bought mine last feb so I knew it had been driven pretty hard with the amount of miles on it but the price was right so I grabbed it while I could I can't think of any other problems ive had if I do I will post them I put a Valair in mine and love it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts