Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright well I documented my bumper build here:

After I finished I noticed one of the edges of the grille only had about a finger's worth of clearance to the bumper (it shifted a bit during the welding). It didn't hit the corner in normal driving conditions, but when I closed the hood, there was enough force (and flop of the grille) that it made contact and would chip the paint in that area. So I wanted a solution for that. I know from research that the 06-09 grilles do work on our 02/03-05 trucks, but with normal, OEM bumpers, leaves a gap in the corners that some don't like because it "just doesn't look right"

After a member on here was nice enough to Photoshop an 06+ grille onto my truck (documented here: Anyone Savvy With Photoshop or Another Editing Program...)

I decided to take the plunge as I thought it looked pretty good photoshopped.

I got it all installed yesterday and wired up the LED's, and I have to say I'm very happy with the look as well as the clearance now to the bumper. Yes, it's not perfect, some may gripe at the "gap" on the angled portion of the grille, but I think it aligns better with an aftermarket bumper than it does with the stock bumper. Biggest bonus, I have all the clearance in the world now.

Only downside is I lost my light bar and pods that were mounted in my previous grille, those were handy. But there's a spot in the bumper for one, just need to order one up. Here's a few shots of it from yesterday.

My truck is now officially a mash-up monster. Year 04, 06+grille, Viper SRT Hurst shifter, with '16 Chevy mirrors. It's fun to have a little bit of everything. Not everyone's taste, but very happy myself how it turned out.

Figured I'd post in case anyone was wondering about the 06+ grille that doesn't have the OEM bumper, but I'm sure results will vary depending on the bumper lines too.

·
Registered
06 Ram 2500
182 Posts
Interesting, I thought the 06 grill sits about an inch lower than the 05 and earlier version. I had to go the other way around have an 06 and changed to a winch bumper and it hit on the top part of the bumper and changed out to the earlier version so the hood would close.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, I thought the 06 grill sits about an inch lower than the 05 and earlier version. I had to go the other way around have an 06 and changed to a winch bumper and it hit on the top part of the bumper and changed out to the earlier version so the hood would close.

View attachment 927441
Overall height is the same on both, only difference is the corners

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just need the headlights to match, looks good!
Ey, I like the style of the 03-05 headlights. Don't really want to source new fenders for that and re-do my retrofit.
Maybe someday if I get bored of the look, but I kind of like it being unique to the build

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didnt realize the fenders were different.
Yeah you can do what they call a "front end swap" for these trucks if you want it to look like the newer years by replacing the bumper, fenders, headlights, grille, and grille support bracket. Headlights are integral with the fenders which is why you need them, as well the headlights are a bit "taller".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts