Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:CRY: Well, yall have been a big help on other issues, so, here is a new problem i am having. I am going to try to make a long story short here! I have 5 different dodge duallies. I say that to better explain my issue. The 06' that I was having problems with is now running great it was the injectors, but to figure that out for sure, before making that big purchase, I pulled the injectors out of my 05' that was running (with the exception of loss of power when loaded). When its' injectors fixed the 06', I just went ahead and ordered injectors for the 05'. I got those installed tonight, and it will not start. I retraced my steps and cannot find anything wrong! The injectors I installed were OEM Bosch injectors, I did not replace the tubes.(But I did check and clean them). I am wondering if whatever was causing the loss of power problem coincidentally went out.
I am pretty sure that the loss of power problem was or is the lift pump, because it regains power when fuel guage gets below 1/2 tank. I can hear the lift pump run, but I do not have a fuel pressure guage to check pressure.
Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
No, it is a self bleeding system.

You might open the water drain on the filter housing and bump the starter to see that the lift pump is pumping.

After my injector install, I did the bump the starter thing a few times and had to crank it for about 20 seconds. Then she fired right up.

You might recheck the torque on the connector tubes. That can keep it from building rail pressure and it won't start. Might also pull the electrical connectors on the fuel rail and check the pins. One could have got bent.

Randy

·
GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,174 Posts
No, it is a self bleeding system.

You might open the water drain on the filter housing and bump the starter to see that the lift pump is pumping.

After my injector install, I did the bump the starter thing a few times and had to crank it for about 20 seconds. Then she fired right up.

You might recheck the torque on the connector tubes. That can keep it from building rail pressure and it won't start. Might also pull the electrical connectors on the fuel rail and check the pins. One could have got bent.

Randy
i agree, a bent or pinched feeder line in the rail, will cause serious fueling issues... and if the connector tubes are the least bit loose, you will loose alot of rail pressure... a loose connector tube can even cause a lopey idle, if its just right, almost like the fca has went bad in one... but that is another thing to check is the fca (Fuel control actuator) may be coincidental, that it is going bad right after you changed the injectors, i can cause pressures to be all over the place when it goes bad... and it doesnt have a warning, it will just start fueling different, and loss of power...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, I checked all of the supply lines, the injector tubes, all of the injectors, just to make sure that i did not make a careless error. Everything looks great! I also checked the lift pump to ensure that it is pumping, when i pulled the injectors to check everything, they had diesel on them.So I know that they are getting fuel. Is there an easy way to check the FCA and would it cause it not to start. I shot a ittle stating fluid in it to see if it would help, it ran for about 3 seconds and died( pretty much when it burned all of the ether up)
Brent

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i put the wiring exactly like it was on the old injectors. i double checked to make sure i had it right. I have also checked the 3 harness plugs, they are all in good. do you know of a way to check and see if they are firing?

·
......................... .....
2,727 Posts
test light (it should flash) on the wires while cranking (unplugged from the injector)? thats how i check car injectors, i dont know if the cr injectors are any different

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
ok, I checked all of the supply lines, the injector tubes, all of the injectors, just to make sure that i did not make a careless error. Everything looks great! I also checked the lift pump to ensure that it is pumping, when i pulled the injectors to check everything, they had diesel on them.So I know that they are getting fuel. Is there an easy way to check the FCA and would it cause it not to start. I shot a ittle stating fluid in it to see if it would help, it ran for about 3 seconds and died( pretty much when it burned all of the ether up)
Brent
pull the harness of the back of the fca if the injectors ae installed corretly the truck will start. if no start you have done something wrong on install

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, I just pulled the valve cover off again. i am probably going to wear the bolts out! LOL I checked the voltage with a test light to all of the injectors. They all have some voltage. Number 1 and number 5 have more voltage on one leg than the rest. I am going to test them with an actual volt meter to see what the voltage is. Am I headed in the right direction, or am I headed in the wrong direction?

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
how are you installing the injectors? are you tightening the injectors first and then torqueing the connector tubes? or are you pushing the injectors in starting the connector tubes and then going back to the injectors tightening them down. and then final torque on the connector tubes?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I pulled the harness on the fca. Truck still did not start. I am feeling my way through this, so what exactly does the fca do, and why would it start with it not hooked up?

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I pulled the harness on the fca. Truck still did not start. I am feeling my way through this, so what exactly does the fca do, and why would it start with it not hooked up?
i controls the rail pressure with it unhooked it calls for max rail pressure. even a little leak the motor will still have enough pressure to start

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I installed all of the injectors, then i installed all of the supply tubes, then tightened injectors, after that, I torqued all of the keepers to the supply tubes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that makes sense on the fca, that is good to know for future reference!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
do you suggest trying to pull all injectors and starting from scratch , maybe trying a differnt technique?

·
Premium Member
8,425 Posts
I have seen a couple times where #1 goes out or gets hooked up wrong and it will keep the truck from starting by cranking over but if it is a manual pull start it and it will fire right up if you have a manual you could maybe try pull starting it and if that fires it up look into your #1 injector

·
Premium Member
8,425 Posts
any updates

1 - 20 of 26 Posts