Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have new injector just got new long block 5k miles ago south bend dual disk clutch I haul often and need a turbo to keep egts cool and also give me better mpg then my stock one

·
Trying to learn
6,194 Posts
:welcome:
Is there a question in there somewhere?
Rethink and repost with some sense of structure.

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
440 Posts
:welcome:
Is there a question in there somewhere?
Rethink and repost with some sense of structure.
Agreed!

Very hard to read. Re write that or you’ll never get good answers.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Have new injector just got new long block 5k miles ago south bend dual disk clutch I haul often and need a turbo to keep egts cool and also give me better mpg then my stock one
Ok, so I think your asking about how to get EGT down and get better fuel mileage while towing. We need more detailed info. Any other modifications done to the truck??

A Signature with these details would help out in any future threads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m very new to this I haven’t really figured out how to do my signature yet but it’s a 05 Dodge Ram 3500 6speed Manual south bend dual disk 255/80/17 tires new long block injectors smarty s06 and edge cts2 with pyro for gauges Im looking to do some upgrades for fuel Economy this truck loves diesel and the truck cruises at around 9/10 psi of boost and I need to do some mods to get that down but I can’t go with to big of a turbo Bc I also haul hay a lot and I need it to spool so what are y’all thinking

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I’m very new to this I haven’t really figured out how to do my signature yet
OP, Many of us here that are able to help with problems have NOT yet forfeit the use and utility of PUNCTUATION while communicating an idea or a question, or even an answer to a question.

Try it (i.e. using punctuation)... you just might like it.

And even if you don't like it, it will help us give you better answers!!!!

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Getting good MPG and towing just don't go together. What's the current EGT that makes you concerned that you need a new turbo? How long does it stay at those temps? Where are you getting your reading from, before or after the turbo? There are plenty of other issues that it could be other than replacing with a different turbo.
What are you currently getting for mileage towing now? I would easily get in the single digits when hauling 15-20,000lbs, especially in the hills but when I was just cruising w/o trailer I could get 20mpg consistently(hand calculated) LOTS of variables with fuel mileage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My main concern is fuel mileage unloaded I’m getting 15 on the highway going 65 at 1950 rpms around 670 EGTs. my temps are okay I haft to stay in it very hard to get it past 1300. But wen I’m unloaded cruise set at 65 I’m around 9/10 psi of boost on flat ground I need help getting better mileage!!

·
Trying to learn
6,194 Posts
15 mpg is in the range of what to expect from most trucks here. Very few reach the 20 mpg most claim to get. Takes a lot of $$ and effort.

The way to Sig posting = click on USER CP at top of page > on the left of the page under Settings & Options > see Edit Signature > fill in info > save. there ya go

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See the truck got better before I put the bigger tires on it then it went down in town I’m getting like 13.5. It feels like somtnjng just dragging on it

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Signature will deff. help here.

Year, cab, duals or single rear wheel if 3500, modifications, tire size, lift, accessories, 2wd-4wd, and whatever else I forgot.

The mileage is going to depend on all of the factors above and then some.

Check out the Signature of my sold Cummins, it's a good start

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay I think I got my signature filled out!!!!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
For a dually that seems to be about right for MPG. Taller/wider tire and agressive tread pattern will make MPG go down. Easy with the right foot and timing when to throw it in N before getting to a stop without slowing to a crawl helps out quite a bit. Another thing to think about is that your running winter fuel which typically gets worse fuel mileage and idling for warmups is 0MPG which brings your average down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alrighty thanks for your input. it just feels like It’s dragging like something is not letting it role like it should be is there anything I can check?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Jack up each corner and check to see if a wheel bearing or brake is dragging. Do you use your parking brake much? It might be sticking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just replaced back brakes for the 2nd time in the past year and a half but Hauled a lot of hay with a 40ft trailer that didn’t have trailer brakes in that time but I’m just now about to change the front brakes for the first time since I’ve had the truck for around a year and a half so could the back brakes be dragging making the wear process speed up?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Be a good place to start. Rear brakes typically last a LOT longer that front brakes. Jack it up and spin the tire one at a time to see which side might be having issues. If one is dragging, try to loosen the bleeder to relieve any pressure and see if it will spin any easier.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I jacked up the hole rear end and spun the tires and I could kinda hear the brakes grabbing a lil bit. I could spin it but it would stop pretty fast once I stop pushing them

·
Premium Member
15,301 Posts
When you did brakes did you do calipers also? Pull the slide pins, greases them, and very operation was smooth? Did you flush the calipers well after install and open bleeder to compress?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn’t do calipers I just compressed them put new brakes in and went on with it

1 - 20 of 25 Posts