Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this project is very near completion, I figured it was time for a build thread. Its running and driving, just working out some of the bugs now.

86 Chevy K30 with a gas gulping BBC, and a wrecked 05 dodge 2500 donor truck with 39k... all the systems have been retrofitted except functioning airbags, along with the entire drivetrain. The ABS works, it has a custom radius arm/ coil spring front suspension, and I'm currently just working on some of the small systems.. like making the pwr door locks work with the dodge clicker.... ya know... the really important stuff :hehe:

starting point

gas motor

finished frame mods/boxing... the "notch" on the pass side is for ac comp clearance

dodge steering column/modded gauge cluster/pedals in progress

05 common rail in its new home

pcm/abs/hydroboost/lower steering column

huge headache was the PS resv... bulit one from scratch

front radius arms/ 1.75 DOM and .188 plate... jonny joints at rear.. bushing at front... use stock dodge diff mounts

front diff/springs/steering... hint of the intercooler

i have tons of pix, so if there is anything you want to see more of, just let me know

·
Registered
264 Posts
A local Cummins conversion; I have to see it in person! Nice looking work!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
this 86 project belongs to a friend.... i should start a build thread on my own personal truck... which is a lowered 96 crew cab dually chevy with a 12v

i really need to get some good pix of the truck... but you get the idea

·
Registered
264 Posts
Would love to see lots more pics of both. But one particular thing caught my eye in your last picture, A/C compressor! Part of that looks like a factory mount, part looks fabricated. Any more pics? My '86 Ford Lariat had A/C, the 12v donor did not. So, I', trying to figure out getting A/C on the truck and where to put it etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have done 8 cummins retro fits counting the common rail, the a/c is always an issue for clearance.... i have "moved" the frame rail a few times... and that just wasnt an option on the 2wd 96... so i had to get creative. plus it allowed me to mix and match the better components...gm alt/ dodge sanden ac compressor... and someplace im gonna mount a york 210 on board air compressor.... as the dually will be full air ride rolling on cut down 22.5 semi alcoas someday

back to the question...i took the factory cast bolt on plate off the side of the block, made a new one with a machined lower water neck to match chevy radiator hose size, mounted the chevy alt just above that, and then cut the cast plate where the a/c mount is and bolted it to the top where it will tie into the cummins alt mount (its still a work in progress)

on your project... it would be pretty easy to mount the ford a/c compressor someplace... the issue will be finding a compressor clutch to match the cummins serp belt. you can always go with a dodge a/c compressor and custom hoses.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've seen this truck running around the valley a lot here lately, a couple times when I was out in the Fummins. But, I haven't been able to catch him stopped when I had a few to compare notes. Looks good!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a question about your radius arm suspension. I want to build one for my chevy conversion. Would you mind showing more pics of how exactly you did your's?
i wouldnt do one like this again, ''next time" i will cut the mounts off the housing and make them square... it was a PITA to set it up with the funky angles for the stock dodge 4 link.

I dont have any more pics, i was finishing this up and moving, apparently they are lost forever in an old comp.

they went back and tied into the trans mount crossmember, and i think they were about 33" long give er take. very similar to newer superdutys

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've seen this truck running around the valley a lot here lately, a couple times when I was out in the Fummins. But, I haven't been able to catch him stopped when I had a few to compare notes. Looks good!
he has put like 5-6k on the truck since he started driving it, has been pretty worry free. few electrical issues keep coming up... the donor parts sat out in weather for like 2 years from the guys previous project/builder... been fighting a few corrosion gremlins... like fuel pump relay connections was the latest :doh:

he actually was over here the other day asking about whackin the frame down and turning it into a shortbed, and building a 40+ gal fuel tank to go at the rear of the frame and use the stock dodge "canister" pump/sender vs the universal stuff we have now

·
Registered
4 Posts
More pics!!!

It would be awesome to see all the pics!!! I'm putting a 04.5 common rail cummins with nv5600 in my 87 chevy k20 single cab long box.. Plus the drivetrain!! Do you know how much of a pain it was to put the gauge cluster out of the dodge into the chevy??

Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i used the whole alum pedal mount assembly under the dash, mounted the gauge cluster and then scratch built a bezel with some dodge dash a/c vents....and it tied around the 05 dodge steering column.

truck will be here next week getting a 60 gal alum fuel tank built... i will post new pics

·
Registered
167 Posts
i would LOVE to see the dash all finished up and how you got that steering column in there

Did you use a painless wiring kit or retro fit the enitre dodge harness over?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it uses the entire dodge harness, with connections made to work the chevy lights and pwr doors... all of the abs, cruise, keyless entry is completley functional.

the column was pretty easy, since it mounts directly to the cast alum "plate" that mounts the pedals... which only took minor trimming to dash and massaging the firewall with redrilling the hydro-boost mounting holes to match to get that whole structure under the chevy dash.

the only major downfall to this project has been egt's... the small intercooler sux... so i will be looking into a 2nd gen dodge while its here. and the power steering drops to almost no assist at idle... kinda unhandy. seems to be a common problem with everybody local who has a lifted dodge with big tires. i havent really looked into fixxing it as the customer seems to have gotten used to it. other than that... i think he has about 15k on it since finished, and aside from a broken track bar mount... hasnt had any major issues.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Would you be able to tell me with the VSS is on this set up?

I want to do a CR swap into my truck using the painless harness but being a 89 chev i have no VSS and i won't get past half thottle on the motor.

If its in the axles i would consider using the dodge axles but i am just curious if you know as i cant seem to get a straight answer from any one...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.