21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Crank is in the engine!

Cam is in the engine!

Cover is all sealed up on the motor!

Next is the fun task of cleaning the head off and resealing the stems because I don’t want to risk a messed up seal leak from this sludge mess!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
are you having the head machined?
What cover is that?
That Crank is purty lookin!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Not machining the head no overheat and very low miles clean really good an go should be more than good. I am re sealing it with new valve stem seals.

That’s what they call there timing cover lol.

·
Ducati M.
6,818 Posts
A note on using a mechanical setup on the vgt. They don’t provide the best performance characteristics. You’re far better off using the electrical actuator, and tuning it by shaft speed. @Rx7man, and one other 2nd genner whose username eludes me would be the guys to talk to about setting them up properly without using a cm2100, or newer ecm.

Reactions: hookit

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
ME34564 (or some other blasted number I can't remember) is one, and Hakcenter is the creator, we run various variants based on the Lil' black box (Lil' Blackbox - Index)

I do highly recommend keeping it electronically controlled.. but if you really do go mechanical, I have a partial setup for mechanical and would trade you for the electronic box.. I'll try and get some pics

Reactions: Charged392

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Pistons going in tonight getting closer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Head is cleaned and ready to go back on the block should be going back together si day this week then to pull truck in and rip the V6 out and put an in-line in it lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Motor is assembled and ready to go in now. Tomm I push the swap tuck in for its year down here we go!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
After I plasma cut the factory mounts off I got to making new mounts that allow the motor to sit in the truck far enough from the firewall, low enough from the cowl area and that will clear the steering rack setup! This swap is coming along nicely so far!

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ran into a little snag with the trans side of things. The 5.9 and 6.7 blocks are different on the rear mounting plate area hence I can only use 6 of the 8 bolts and had to silicone the cover to seal it around the cam area in the rear. The 727 is not a lockup style and I’m not using an a518/47rh stuff. My issue is the 5.9 cummins rear crank has a smooth crank no ridge like the 6.7 crank does in the picture. The flexplate with the holes all cut out of it is the 727 plate and as you can see will not fit over the rear ridge. The converter also has about 1/4” play all the way around when out into the rear of the crank. What I am thinking of doing since I cannot use the 68rfe plate(smooth one) I need to use the 727 plate. In order to make the 727 flex fit I am thinking of having the plate center opened up to match the 68rfe plate center hole this will allow it to fit the motor. After I get that to work I now have to address the converter not centering in the crank rear. My thought here was to have a bushing/spacer made to take up the gap or difference this allowing me to run the 727 and flex and get this going.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Cab needed to be lifted 2.5” to get it last the frame. Once I got it in I cut the old mounts out and made new from scratch the old were not far enough back and to far from engine. Now onto the trans then will assemble the rest of the motor parts!

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Got my bushing made to take up the space between the converter snout and the flywheel pilot hole. Opened up the 727 flexplate to fit the 6.7 cummins crank lip. test fit and all is good to go. Install the trans this week and make a custom crossmember to hold it up and then keep hacking away at the rest.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Get the trans mount made up and finished installing the rest of the motor pieces on the engine. I had to roll the truck outside due to a lift ram seal failure and this is how it’s sits full motor and trans nice suspension no crazy bouncing up front. Now to get wiring harness and PCM

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Radiator and trans cooler have arrived. Still waiting on intercooler to get here. Need to make a small notch in the front frame to clear the radiator it’s kinda wide lol. Once o have the cooling setup done will get the pcm and harness.

Anyone with a 2003-2005 manual cummins want to send me a vin in PM so I can order an ECM tia!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Radiator, trans cooler, intercooler and v6 power steering cooler all in and good to go. The factory hoses for like stock lol. Pcm and harness next soon running!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Congrats!!! Love the build.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts