Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 3.7 v6 that I got with blown headgaskets I don't plan to fix. Since dodge frames are full box semi rolled corners there is more than enough strength to play with there. The motor is a 2015 6.7 from a 3500 ram. I am aware of the fuel rail sensor being different than the 7.5-9 style and have to change it anyway since it broke on removal. The rest of the sensors are the same I have spent more than a few hours looking into this before continuing. I emailed diesel conversions and they said they can't cover the 15 year wiring due to electrical differences not sure why but hey I can do it myself. I have 7.5-9 pcm pigtails coming from a dealer buddy and if that can't be had brand new engine harness will be the way I go either way I am switching to the older harness. I will be getting a 7.5-9 pcm and a tuner from someone that can help (ideas/referrals here needed). I already have a diesel 727 with a gear vendors OD unit on it. The engine will have no emmisions crap attached to it at all either. The motor will be stock won't need HP in 4K less weight truck lol. This should be an interesting little setup once done it's one of those swaps you always see online and read about but never actually see anywhere in person I am finally going to do my own!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the trans I will be using for the swap. 727,converter,gear vendors,flex plate and adapter for a cummins. All brand new never used. This setup has no lockup and will mainly be street driven with a little track racing. For now I will be using the 9.25" diff bit have a ford 9" behind the barn I will be rebuilding to go under the truck after I get it running and driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Third gen radiator and intercooler for a cummins I just scored for free! Buddy was doing a swap of a 24v into f350 and ended up moving sold the truck and motor but kept these two. He told me take or they are trash so I did! Getting closer every day now.

Also I am changing it up a touch and going with the 2006 5.9 pcm custom flashed to get me going on a stock non security file just power up and start motor. The harness will need a little modding but that's the easy part. I will post pics as I get things going. Tomm getting crank out and making sure engine is good to go with a touch of machining.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got her all torn down! Three rods took damage to the bearings nothing spun thank god but crank will have to be turned down on three journals and oversized bearings installed in it. The rest of engine is good to go need to clean it all out and ride. Going to be a touch while I get crank sent out and machine work done.

Attachments

·
Ducati M.
6,809 Posts
Just a point on running the cm849 ecm rather than the cm2100 like you were planning, you’re going to need to switch to 5.9 injectors as the 6.7 ones fire with a different voltage, and it’s very hit or miss whether the guy hitting the keys on the tune will be able to get it to run decent/at all (even the best tuners aren’t exempt from this).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is the firing voltage on the injectors I have read this more than once and I work on these trucks and everything I read says they are about the same. I was planning on running 50 tips maybe to add in a little fuel as the 5.9 pcm is going to pulse a little different than the 6.7 computer would so fuel might be off a touch. I was at least going to try it and see worst case I swap injectors and tips!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok well builds like this swing a lot. I am going 2006 pcm now with a painless wiring harness to eliminate any possible wiring issues. PELA will be tuning as they are just down the road from me. Block and oil pan dry fit will be happening very soon!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Crank is done cost me $550 to turn it down not bad considering price of new crank. Pcm and harness coming soon. Now for the test fit and mock up.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
(because I'm curious) If he were to use the TIPM/PCM/ECM (not all that sure what would be applicable) and harness' out of a 7.5 - 09 truck, wouldnt he be able to utilize the 6.7 injectors? It sounds to me that he is already going to need to custom tune it all any how, so why would the firing voltage matter? My concern would be having to turn up the 5.9 injectors to help with the greater displacement.

Asking because I genuinely don't know.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Be careful with running 6.7 injectors on a 5.9 ECM. They use different voltages and amps. Some say it can be done but with some massive hiccups on startup.

I am swapping my 2003 5.9 with an 2016 6.7 and I am swapping out all injectors and harnesses back to run all electronic stuff for the 2003 so it will be plug and play. Good luck man.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Crank is finally done and coming back to be with new bearings for the connecting rods included next time I will just take it myself rather than have a buddy relay it to the machine shop lol.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The crank is home. Turned down 10/10 so on size thicker bearings and good to go. Not going crazy with power on this setup.

Ordering painless wiring harness for a 2005 truck/pcm setup. Getting a manual 5.9 pcm for this swap since 727 trans being used .Using all the 6.7 electronics and what not just switching over the few pigtails I need and the 2005 rail psi sensor. Test for and mock up coming soon got a few side jobs rolling right now and barn is tied up!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Cant wait to see it all come together! Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All bearings and seals are on the way. Rebuild coming soon! Once I have rebuilt doing test install and mock-up with complete motor. Once I have it fitting nice and good will get wiring and pcm to start it up

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know it seems like this is taking forever but I am a very busy guy this time of year and vacation is coming but look what came in finally. The bearings have arrived so I can now get the cam and crank into the block and start this fun project.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Took my pressure washer to the bunker up motor lol and this is how it came out after. It’s rrally clean had to remove galley plugs and what not to clear out the passages. I am shocked as to how simple the cummins oil flow path is. The oil squirters are all clear also. Went to drop crank in and they shipped me standard mains when I know for a fact I ordered .025 thicker ones. So gotta call them Monday and get this sorted out so I can get rolling on this assembly. The down time I will Be porting the stock air horn and removing the turbo vgt motor to do a mechanical wastegate rod setup with a cable brake setup.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 68 Posts