Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While looking for some parts for my truck, i noticed that they list an 04 and an 04.5 what if any difference is there, and how would i figure out which one i have? All i know at the moment is that truck I'm buying tomorrow is an 04.

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts
The 04 will have the 305hp/555tq, the 04.5 will have the 325/600ish engine.

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
The 2004 is a 305HP motor while the 2004.5 is a 325HP motor. It will usually say on the valve cover which it is.

Another way of knowing for sure is to look at the coolant overflow bottle. If it is on the drive side up by the radiator, it is an early 04. If it is on the passenger side up by the firewall, it is a later 04.5 model.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
hopefully in your case its the 4.5. good luck. i would hate get an earlier 2004 model when i know theres a 2004.5 out there somewhere.:thumbsup

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea that helps alot, i guess I'll find out tomorrow when i pick her up. Can't really complain only paid $10k for it

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
hopefully in your case its the 4.5. good luck. i would hate get an earlier 2004 model when i know theres a 2004.5 out there somewhere.:thumbsup

Personally I chose the early 04 because of the torque management issue that can not be fixed on the 04.5.

The torque management should not be an concern for you if you do not plan on racing the truck.

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No shes gonna be a daily driver, use it to tow a car trailer and boat time to time. Looking to do the basic power upgrades, and wheels and tires.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Whats the torque mangement issue?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Not to steal this thread,but...What is the down side of torque mangement on a 04.5 ??

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Not to steal this thread,but...What is the down side of torque management on a 04.5 ??
No worries, The torque management will cause the engine to de-fuel on a hard acceleration from a stop, we offer a fix called the R.A.D. (Race Anti De-Fueler) box for the early 03-04's but it will not work on the 04.5 and later models. The manual transmissions do not have torque management

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
While looking for some parts for my truck, i noticed that they list an 04 and an 04.5 what if any difference is there, and how would i figure out which one i have? All i know at the moment is that truck I'm buying tomorrow is an 04.
Most trucks with build dates of 1/04 and later are 04.5

04.5 are also the start of the 325 hp motors.

04.5s have a bigger compessor, a third injection event, a cat, some minor airflow improvements in the head etc etc....

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
No worries, The torque management will cause the engine to de-fuel on a hard acceleration from a stop, we offer a fix called the R.A.D. (Race Anti De-Fueler) box for the early 03-04's but it will not work on the 04.5 and later models. The manual transmissions do not have torque management
Personally I would not worry too much about that since there are programmers that can play with the torque management.:peelout

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am a little torn about what to do about a chip, i will be installing gauges, intake and exhaust. I want something that is adjustable on the fly, don't need crazy horsepower, don't need to kill the tranny. Going for fuel economy, but would also like to be able to smoke the ricer that pulls up next to me.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
I am a little torn about what to do about a chip, i will be installing gauges, intake and exhaust. I want something that is adjustable on the fly, don't need crazy horsepower, don't need to kill the tranny. Going for fuel economy, but would also like to be able to smoke the ricer that pulls up next to me.
I have the edge juice with attitude and it nice, good bump in power and mileage if I can keep my foot out of it. Personally, I find shift on the fly overrated. At first I liked it but I rarely and I do mean rarely change the settings. But the juice is pretty stock tranny friendly so long as the operator does not beat on it, it will defuel and give warnings and all that good stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Do you prefer digital or analog gauges, there are some great chips that include a digital gauge package with shift on the fly capability, I personally like the Edge Product although that will pose a debate on here :popcorn: which is good for you to hear the different opinions. Tuners are pretty common on the Common Rail Cummins but would require analog gauges, of course I recommend the BD Ultra X-Tuner :T:

To prevent seeming bias look at the Smarty, its pretty popular on this Forum! :thumbsup

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was planning on using analog gauages, boost, pyro and trans temp. Ive looked at the smarty jr, x-tuner and the diablo power puck. Looking for the best for the price.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts