Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the scoop on this trans? I have 66,000mi how long will the clutch go? Flush the trans?

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,806 Posts
its a nv5600 the clutch will last as long as you maintain stock hp. i changed my tranny fluid every 60k but i towed heavy.

·
Registered
834 Posts
i just had mine changed out at 135K. not sure if it was stock though. still had some meat on 'er though....

and as for fluid, when the got the truck my fluid was DISGUSTING so i drained it, and put as much atf as i could cram into it, sealed it up, and literally started it and ran it down the road about 100 ft (going through all gears), put it in reverse, and went back to the driveway, drained the atf back out, and threw in some royal purple syncromaxx. believe it or not the flush with atf actually helped the color of the fluid and the shifting! even helps with the noise. mine was sooo darn loud, could practically hear every gear turning and now she purrs like a kitten!

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have just over 320,000kms (200,000 mi) on my NV5600 and although it is a little sloppy and 3rd gear grinds a little if I try to shift to fast, It makes little noise!

I bought the truck used and I suspect it was a company truck before so I'm guessing the tranny was abused before I got it!

·
Bangin' through the gears
5,182 Posts
Why would you 'flush' an NV5600 with ATF?

Stabin cabin there is no telling how long the clutch will last you. I believe some hot shotters have sold trucks with 250-300,000+ miles still on the stock clutch. Hard to say how all those highway miles compares to a daily driver with plenty of stop and go. I would say the average person without additional power mods should be able to get at least 150,000 out of a stock clutch. That is probably a conservative estimate. After power mods, who knows. Usually not very long though.

I really don't think there is a need to flush the trans. I've changed the fluid twice in mine. Once just because, and the factory fluid looked fine. And once after I broke my main shaft racing with too much wheel hop. IIRC the factory fluid is supposedly a lifetime fluid. As expensive as it is I really see no reason to change it.

My guess is most guys probably need a new bearing or two and new synchro's just as much if not more than they need new fluid.

·
Registered
674 Posts
stock clutch is fine until u chip it or act like an a**hole. then say goodbye stock clutch

when the clutch gets abused it tends to shift worse.

mine got real bad and the truck would not go in reverse unless i turned it off.

change fluid and add at least 6 quarts. Syncromesh from pennzoil

·
Gear Nerd
1,925 Posts
I believe the theory on "flushing" with ATF is that the thinner lube will help work crud out of places that normally would retain said crud with a simple change.

ATF ain't going to kill a manual trans, even those that aren't spec'd to use it... I'd just say don't do it long on a trans that isn't spec'd for it.

The G56 factory fill from dodge is ATF+4, but everywhere else in the world where the trans is used (HUGE MB Euro-trucks) they use real gear lubes... There are G56's out there that have never run anything but ATF+4 that are still cruising, and others that fell apart. I'll bet you a dollar those that fell apart were either poorly maintained or abused.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Got 157000 miles on my stock clutch. I've pulled way more than it wanted a time or two but I don't abuse or hot rod it. Changed the oil twice and use Royal Purple Synchromax. Got the normal clutch disc rattle but nothing else so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.