Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up a used trans from a guy out of a 04 truck. Got a decent deal and the guy has the receipt for the build he did. My question is in order to swap over to my truck which is an 05 with the Throttle valve actuator motor on it do I just need to get a bracket to mount TTVA. Found a website that sells a pre made bracket to mount the TTVA to. Just wondering if this is all that is involved in this or if I'm missing something.

Here is a link to the bracket I'm talking about . https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/bracket-48re-transmission-with-an-electronic-throttle-valve-actuator/.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
279 Posts
So I just picked up a used trans from a guy out of a 04 truck. Got a decent deal and the guy has the receipt for the build he did. My question is in order to swap over to my truck which is an 05 with the Throttle valve actuator motor on it do I just need to get a bracket to mount TTVA. Found a website that sells a pre made bracket to mount the TTVA to. Just wondering if this is all that is involved in this or if I'm missing something.

Here is a link to the bracket I'm talking about . https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/bracket-48re-transmission-with-an-electronic-throttle-valve-actuator/.

Any help is appreciated.
Do you know which style TTVA it has? I believe there were mid model changes even in the 04.5 mid year builds. I know my 04.5 had a style that cost more when I added a banks exhaust brake. As I recall, the TTVA was engine mounted.

·
Premium Member
15,164 Posts
No, TTVA did not change mid-model. The TTVA motor started in MY05 trucks. No, an 04 of any vintage does have a TTVA. There is only 1 style of TTVA.

That is all there is to the TTVA mount, just need the bracket.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so all I need is bracket and I'll be good to go?? Also any other recommended upgrades to do to the trans since its already out. From what I know it's just a stock rebuild nothing fancy. My truck is stock. Just need something reliable to get to work a tow. Which for the last year or so it's been everything but reliable.

·
Registered
279 Posts
No, TTVA did not change mid-model. The TTVA motor started in MY05 trucks. No, an 04 of any vintage does have a TTVA. There is only 1 style of TTVA.

That is all there is to the TTVA mount, just need the bracket.
You're right. It was TPS I was thinking of.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Yes, you'll be fine with the bracket. Ideally, I would want to change the TV lever stop setting a little, but it will work fine without doing that.

·
Registered
279 Posts
These trucks have not had a TPS for over 20 years when they went to drive by wire in mid 98. It has been an APPS since then and it does much more than a TPS.
OK, I admitted I was wrong on the first comment but now you're just splitting hairs. The APPS/TPS is commonly referred to as TPS.

When I bought the e-brake from Banks, they specify "TPS" or "no TPS."

"Fits 325hp engines For vehicles with TPS"

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
OK, I admitted I was wrong on the first comment but now you're just splitting hairs. The APPS/TPS is commonly referred to as TPS.

When I bought the e-brake from Banks, they specify "TPS" or "no TPS."

"Fits 325hp engines For vehicles with TPS"

Nah, no throttle on diesel you have accelerator.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so if I adjust how do i do this. And what am i measuring to know how far to adjust. Sorry if this seems self explanatory but I'm new to diesel trucks but im a millwright by trade so I'm mechanically capable if I have good information to go by. Also i just ordered the ATSG manual so that should help .

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Did you look at picture/read info?
drop pan find that part on your VB measure between 2 parts denoted by the lines.
Your a millwright so can measure things right?
Going to need way to accurately measure thousands of an inch, We use Starrett or Mitutoyo calipers so no issues.

·
Premium Member
15,164 Posts
Yes you will have play in the TC all directions without it being anchored to the flex plate.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And yes I looked at the picture. So I just need to measure depth from head of bolt. Make sure it's at .905.

Any recommendations of other things to do to trans while it's at to improve reliability. I'm at stock power.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
And yes I looked at the picture. So I just need to measure depth from head of bolt. Make sure it's at .905.

Any recommendations of other things to do to trans while it's at to improve reliability. I'm at stock power.
Yes like Sonnax info shows.

Used trans IMO, should come apart double check all internals go thru using ATSG manual, check for wear on hard parts clutches, bands, seals check proper clearances.
Stock convertor is not greatest stock, valve boy could use mods.
How much money you want to spend?
I would contact Dynamic Trans or Goerend for good parts/support.
https://dynamictransparts.com/ or https://goerend.com/

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Honestly I'm not looking to spend a lot. Already spent most of my money on the trans. Doing all the work myself I have a budget of a 1k.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Would like to use the converter that came with the trans if it checks out. Can't really afford to buy and expensive converter at this point. Will have to save that for a later day.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts